Chapter 27

Once he ended the call, Victor felt guilty. He shouldn't have spoken so bluntly with Jishu. His buddy must be worried sick now. But Jishu was one of the few people he could talk to, with out putting on any façade or "filters" He was tired of living up to this image of....

He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. And another face filled up his mind.
And the harsh words she said to him the last time they met!
"Will your empty apology bring back my uncle?"

If he was honest with himself, he was expecting similar reaction from her, perhaps not in such a blunt way.

Anyway, what did she say that he didn't deserve? He hated himself for everything that happened that night! To see his mentor and father like figure die in front of his eyes.... That horrible memory will haunt him for his life. And to know that Nanda Sir had actually come all the way to that Villa to save him!!! That was the most heart wrenching part. He knew he deserved all the spite and hate.

But it still hurt... a lot. Because he thought, of all the people, she would understand how much Nanda Sir meant to him too. Just when he thought there was some hope... Victor shook his head in frustration.

This was not the time for lamenting over what happened. His job now was to finish what he set out for, and to make sure there were no more regrets. That's it!

For that, he was ready to work with anyone who was willing to give him a chance, and trust him, even if it meant, they hate him otherwise.

Will Sharmila accept his proposal?

Hi mobile buzzed just then and he picked it up eagerly. His face broke into a relieved smile as he read the message from Sharmila.

"Can we meet around 9 PM ? Choose a place and let me know. I will be in a burqa."

He began to type his reply eagerly.

****.

Elegant Towers

Sam's apartment.

Sam opened the front door as she checked her reflection one last time on her phone camera before stepping out.

"Where are you going now?" Sam's mother Anita asked.

Sam turned around with a sense of exasperation.

"I told you Mummy! I am going to the movies with Misha and Anosha and then we are gonna have lunch. That poor girl finally found some free time. These medical interns... "

"Sam, I forbid you to go anywhere with that Anosha. I have already warned you. I don't want you to mingle around with the likes of her! Why cant you understand? She's an unmarried woman who is shameless enough to live with her boy friend!!" Anita's disgust was evident in her tone.

"And I have already told you, I don't choose my friends based on your so called "moral code". Sometimes you give me such creeps Mummy! We are not living in 18th century anymore, in case you have forgotten!" Sam replied furiously.

"Mind your tongue Sam, and listen to me once and for all. We are a respectable family! If you are seen going around with characterless girls like Anosha, no marriage alliance will come for you. Remember that! And one more thing... " Anita stopped midway as she noticed Misha and Anosha at the door. She gave one last scathing gaze at Anosha before walking away.

One look at the furious and hurt face of Anosha was enough for Sam to understand that Anosha heard everything. Misha looked equally furious. She felt ashamed.

Sam began to apologise... "I am sorry Anosha, My Mom... she is...."

But Anosha was gone.

Sam ran after her as she tried to apologise again, but Anosha didn't hear a word of what Sam was trying to say. She went inside her apartment and closed the door behind her, leaving Sam almost in tears.