Chapter 31

As Victor kept staring at Tanvir and Rajiv with a mix of helplessness and frustration, Manish reached them, panting for breath.

"Oh god!! Is Rajiv Sir Okay? Rajiv Sir....Rajiv Sir!" He gently shook Rajiv. Relief flooded his face when Rajiv groaned and mumbled incoherently.

"Ambulance... I will call Ambulance!" Manish began to dial 102 for Ambulance as Victor slid along the wall and fell to his knees next to Tanvir's body, in utter despondency.

Manish began to explain the emergency of the situation and asked the ambulance service to hurry, as he gave the exact address details.

Once he finished his call, he turned his attention to Victor.

"Victor Sir, what happened? Are you okay or did you get hurt as well?" Manish reached out to him.

"I am perfectly alright Manish. But I am not okay with what happened here. We were supposed to catch this guy alive, not like this. Remember what I was saying all along, while we were coming here in the car? We need to catch this guy alive so that he can give us details about the Goa shoot out. All the planning, all my instructions have gone to waste! How can we find out now?"

"Of course I understand that, but Rajiv Sir must have shot him to save himself. Look at what this bastard did? He shot Rajiv Sir and I heard a shot before that as well. Was that Sharmila? Is she okay?"

God... what a fool he was! He forgot all about Sharmila!! Victor cursed himself as he rose swiftly and began to sprint down the stairs.

"Victor Sir, please ... Don't leave me alone here. Sir!!!' Manish shouted from behind but Victor ignored him and kept going!!

Just as he reached the ground floor, Ashwin and a few more agents of IB surrounded him.

Ashwin asked anxiously, "What happened? Is everyone okay?"

"Yes! No !! I mean... Tanvir is dead and Rajiv has been shot in the shoulder I think. He is okay. Manish is with him and he has already called for the ambulance."

"Thank god!! These guys arrived just in time and we were able to catch two of Tanvir's men. But one guy escaped in their car." Ashwin explained.

"Oh!! Good!! Excellent work Ashwin! Now at least we can get those bastards to talk. Where are they? Let me go and speak to them." Victor began to move but Ashwin stopped him.

"Don't worry, they are in no position to talk at the moment. That guy Monty beat them to a pulp with his hockey stick as they tried to escape. We will have all the time to make them talk. Let's worry about Rajiv right now. He was already so weak and now this bullet injury. God!! Let's go and see him."

"Yes of course, what an Idiot I am... Let's go." Victor followed Ashwin and the other agents as they climbed up.

"Ashwin, where is Sharmila? I couldn't find her anywhere."

One of the agents, Harsha replied before Ashwin could. "Victor Sir, I think she is all right. She called Monty just as we were coming here. Tanvir tried to shoot her but the bullet just scraped through her shoulder it seems. Monty has gone to look after her. He said that he will take her to a local surgery instead of waiting for ambulance, and then take her back to the safe house. Our Ambulances are notoriously late sometimes."