Chapter 28

Ajit Doval was busy with his secretary, checking the presentation on budget estimates that he was about to show to the senior management, when his phone buzzed. It was from Sanjay Mathur, Director of R&AW.

After initial pleasantries, Sanjay  asked, "Who in your team is checking on HuJi? Our guys traced  Shabir ur Rahman, one of the main commanders of HuJi, and confirmed that he met some naxal leaders in Kerala. But after that we lost track. All we know is that he met someone in Delhi."

" Hmm. I have to check with the specific team. I don't have anyone's name at the top of my head at the moment. But why this sudden interest?" Ajit asked.

"Our intel says he is on a major recruitment drive in our country and someone is supplying arms for these new recruits and HuJi. But that's domestic and you should know more about it. If I had Victor with me, I would have got this whole thing uncovered by now. But I couldn't refuse JP's request when he asked that Victor be transferred over to IB. I understand that whatever happened was tragic, but I think JP did a mistake,  forcing Victor to go on leave." Sanjay said in an even tone.

"Sanjay, do you remember how Victor had become when he infiltrated the IS Camp? I saw him just once, many years ago, when he was still in IB and then again in the disguise of Fayiz Khan. He had changed so much. He began to speak and behave like a completely ruthless guy, as ruthless as those terrorists. No wonder JP thought he needed a break. I know very well how hard he worked on that case, but it is our responsibility to take care of our agents' overall health too isn't it? You should have seen  Dr Ghoshal's reports here in BMS hospital about Victor and some of his symptoms, which can lead to permanent depression. He is still far from becoming normal."

"Look Ajit, I do understand that welfare of our agents is very important. But I can bet a million that  the depression or whatever Victor is going through is purely personal, because of his attachment to JP and nothing to do with his work. I mean, guys like Victor are happy when they do what they are best at, being a SPY!!  If you take that away from them, they don't know what to do with themselves." Sanjay said in a defensive tone. 

"Don't I know that! He was desperate to go after the guys who killed JP, but I said a firm no and assigned him to work with Ashwin on the Drug Cartel case,  even though doctors advised us that he needs more rest."Ajit sighed.

"With Ashwin is it? Hmm..  Well, all the best!" Sanjay's tone was noncommittal.

"Sanjay don't you dare hold back things from me. What is it?" Ajit demanded.

"I don't want to prejudice your mind against Ashwin. He might be doing very well in IB. I am ashamed to admit that in a way, I was really glad when Ashwin requested that he wants to move back to IB from RAW. Frankly speaking, he wasn't that good and Victor had to rescue him twice because his preparation and execution in operations was quite poor. Victor was sure Ashwin would break in captivity, and that's why he rushed over to rescue him at Nakhonay."

"Thanks for telling me this Sanjay. As you know, I am busy cleaning up this mess after Nanda's death and took over his team of guys and girls who hardly know me and vice versa. I will keep an eye on Ashwin too."

"Great! Give my best to Victor, I have been stuck here in UK for the past few weeks; otherwise I would have come and visited him at the hospital."

"Will do. And coming to Shabir Ur Rahman, I will get someone to contact your team immediately."

Ajit was in deep thought even after the call ended till his secretary sought his attention about the presentation.

"Can you get Rajiv to meet me in the afternoon?" He asked his secretary.