e i g h t

"Did you really make me ride the train into the city this late just to come to stand in a line in the cold?" I asked teasingly and Haydn smiled as she shook her head.

We were standing outside what seemed to be a well-known club, Haydn wouldn't tell me what we were doing there but I didn't care, anything was better than that stupid party.

"Has anyone told you that you can be impatient?" She asked playfully and I rolled my eyes. "Don't worry, it will be worth it." She winked as we stepped towards the bouncer, and I tried not to let my excitement take over.

"Hey, Carlo." Haydn greeted him as she handed over twenty dollars and he handed her two wrist bands.

"Haydn, haven't seen you around here in a while. Sara will be bummed she missed you." He smiled as he waved us in.

I reached into my pocket to pay her back as she was distracted, putting the wrist band on my wrist, but she quickly saw what I was up to and wrapped her hand gently around my wrist.

"Don't even think about it, Cristina." She smiled as she pulled my hand out of my pocket but instead of letting go, she let her fingers slide down to my hand before she led me down the stairs. I was grateful it was too dark for Haydn to see my face because between her smile and her warm hand holding mine, I was pretty sure I was blushing like an idiot.

I let Haydn lead me down the stairs and into the overcrowded, underground bar and I made sure I stuck close to her as we waded through bodies to get drinks. I sat down on the first available bar stool and tugged off my jacket, we'd only been in there a few seconds, but it was already becoming unbearably hot.

"Let me take this." She said as she took my jacket from me and handed it to yet another friend of hers to keep, only this time his name was Jacob, and he was one of the bartenders. I was smart in taking my money out before she took my jacket because as soon as she ordered the two double vodkas redbulls, and the two shots of tequila I quickly handed my money over to Jacob before she could protest.

"Hey!" She exclaimed, holding the money she was too distracted finding while I took my change from Jacob. "I was supposed to pay for that you know." She pouted slightly and I grinned slyly.

"Don't even think about it, Haydn," I repeated to her, and I watched a small smile take over her face as she shook her head and pocketed the money, not missing the twinkle in her eyes as she did.

"Here you go, ladies," Jacob said placing our drinks in front of us. "Now if you excuse me, there's a man at the end of the bar that I've been dying to take home." He winked before sauntering away.

"He's cool." I grinned before turning to Haydn. "This whole place is cool actually, how did you even find it?" I asked, taking in the walls covered in faded and new stickers and posters.

"Should I be offended at how shocked you are that I know cool places?" She joked and I rolled my eyes playfully.

"You know what I mean." I smiled and she shrugged as she seemed to think about the answer for a second.

"Well," she started, "when I first moved here, I couldn't really sleep at night, so I started to sneak out and go and explore the city. I think I had just turned sixteen when I found this place, Carlo bounced me five times before he let me in, and I guess it made an impression because I've been coming back ever since." She ended and I smiled as I picked up my shot and lifted it in the air.

"Too good first impressions." I winked and she grinned as she took her shot and mimicked me.

"Neither of us would be here without them." She added playfully and we clicked glasses before shooting the burning liquor down our throats. I grimaced slightly before reaching for my drink and taking a sip, I knew washing down a shot with a drink probably wasn't the smartest idea, but my throat and taste buds felt better.