t e n

After my afternoon with Haydn, the thought of being at home alone was enough to make me cry, so instead of heading back to my house, I took the scenic route to my mom's studio. My mom always told me she couldn't imagine doing anything other than dancing and teaching others. She had her studio for about ten years and has slowly become the most sought-after instructor in the city.

"Hey, Angela, which room is my mom in?" I asked as I walked into the air-conditioned reception of the luxurious three-story building. Angela was one of my mom's closest friends since she started working with my mom when my parents moved to America 20 years ago. They first worked together at a law firm, but they were both unhappy there and decided to leave to pursue their dreams.

"Hi Cristina, your mom is in-studio five teaching a ballet class- she'll be happy to see you." She smiled and I quickly headed back to my mom's office where I kept my dance shoes. I didn't dance often, and I was nowhere as talented as my mom but, I was good enough to be a part of the dance team during the seasons I wasn't cheering.

Since I kept a spare workout outfit in my car, for Logan's spontaneous practices, I just had to change and go- which I was thankful for since my mom's class was ending soon, and I wanted to see her before she headed to the next one.

After getting changed into my workout clothes and shoes, I walked over to studio 5 and when I peered through the window, I wasn't surprised to see my mom's toned and lean body demonstrating all types of moves to a bunch of awestruck little girls. I remember when I was that young, seeing my mom dance for the first time, she was amazing (still was) and is the main reason I got into dance in the first place. It was too bad I'd never be as talented as she was.

"Well, if it isn't my oldest and most favorite student." My mom teased as I walked in, and I laughed as a bunch of girls started giggling uncontrollably. "Are you here to join in on the remainder of the lesson?" She asked, mostly for the little girls benefit because I knew she normally didn't mind me joining any of the group classes, no matter what the age.

"I would love to, you girls won't mind, would you?" I asked them and they shyly shook their heads so as soon as I got their confirmation, I made my way to the back and began to stretch as my mom continued. The girls' eyes all stayed glued to my mom as she demonstrated simple-looking moves and explained the importance of them all, I even joined in on some but not too many since I seemed to distract the girls too much.

My mom didn't mind though, she loved having me in her classes, she always had, and I thought it was her way of sharing her passion with me, but I learnt I was pretty lucky to share it with her in the first place. It started when I was about three, first my mom would bring me to the studio and let me watch but within a few months, or so she told me, I was mimicking her, or at least trying to and my love grew from there. I used to take dance seriously and compete in competitions but by the time I hit high school I discovered cheerleading and dance became a passion I kept to myself, only practicing a few times a week and sometimes a routine in the gymnasium.

I waited until all the girls had exited the studio before I approached my mom, I had an overall terrible day and all I wanted from her was a hug. As soon as the last little girl went bouncing out the door and into the reception area, my mom came over and wrapped her arms around me and pulled me close. It's crazy to me how she always knew exactly what I needed, or maybe it was just those maternal instincts that everybody talked about.

"You have no idea how much I needed this," I mumbled into her shoulder, and she just squeezed me tighter before pulling back.

"Did you have a bad day?" She prodded gently and I sighed deeply as I nodded. "Would you like to talk about it?" She asked and I shook my head.