f i f t e e n

It was our last study session before the test tomorrow and we had yet to talk about our almost kiss at her house, at least I hoped it was an almost kiss, we'd barely spoken- the closest was a text I got from her to ask to meet up today. We studied quietly in the library discussion room and since I'd been grasping more of the concepts we were actually studying separately and I was glad I wasn't completely lost- it meant I was getting better, but that also meant I didn't have an excuse to hang out with Haydn anymore.

Maybe that would be a good thing because I kept getting distracted by Haydn and how fucking beautiful she was. After our night together at her house I had become so aware of her whenever she was around me. I gently chewed on my pen as I found myself admiring the beautiful girl next to me, her straightened-black hair that seemed to go much lighter in the sun, the gentle slope of her nose, the curves of her lips and her expressive golden eyes- that were staring right at me.

"Sorry." I blushed. "I think I lost focused for a bit," I murmured but before I could turn back to my work she spoke up.

"Are you busy Saturday night?" She asked and even though I desperately wanted to say yes, I couldn't, and my face dropped.

"Yeah, I am, I've actually got plans with my friends," I said apologetically as my shoulders deflated and she smiled sadly. When I saw her disappointed expression, I cursed my friends and their need to go watch every heteronormative romantic comedy starring the same generic white boy.

"That's a bummer." She murmured before turning back to her textbook and I bit my lip, I couldn't help it- I had to ask.

"Why?" I asked as I tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear, and she gave me a small shrug.

"I was hoping to get you all to myself again, so we can celebrate all your hard work." She explained and I blushed. "But I should've known, fate isn't often in my side."

"But the test is only tomorrow, we don't even know if I've passed yet." I sighed and she rolled her eyes playfully.

"You're going to be fine." She promised with a crooked smile as she squeezed my forearm reassuringly but before I could even reply I saw her glance at her phone and swear under her breath. "I'll see you tomorrow before the test, good luck Cristina." She winked at me and by the time my heartbeat went back to normal she was already gone, and I had to go to our technique practice.

Technique practice was actually the brainchild of Logan and Blanca who thought that once every two weeks the cheer team and the dance team could practice together and work on techniques such as tucking, rolling, flexibility and choreography- it was a nice idea because we didn't have to work too hard, and we got to practice with more of our friends.

I walked to the football field outside after changing into my workout gear and as I stepped out, I was glad to see Blanca, Roxanne and Logan already stretching. I quickly jogged to them before one of the coaches saw me coming a few minutes late and as soon as I joined them, they started talking about how excited they were for the movie, which only ended up reminding me where I wouldn't be and who I wouldn't be with.

Thankfully, the practice and my friends were able to take my mind off things for a little while, but it didn't last as long as I wanted it too and far too soon, I found myself sitting on the bleachers with Blanca and Roxanne while Logan was fawned over for a few minutes by her followers. However, I wasn't hiding my anxiety as well as I thought and when Logan walked over and sat down next to Blanca on the bench above us, she didn't hesitate in asking.

"Alright, so what's up with you?" She asked me and I leaned back in shock.

"Me?!" I exclaimed and they all nodded.