An Escape Plan

Natalie

I guess it's safe to say that my best and worst character trait is that I am very impulsive.

My decision making skills closely resemble that of a squirrel when crossing the street. But, when I do make a decision... my mind isn't an easy thing to change. Which is fine; because, I'm lucky enough to have that one person that I know will support whatever crazy decision I make.

Olivia Mae Jenson, my Heaven on Earth.

My H.O.E.

We were destined to be best friends since the day I was born...

Quite literally.

Olivia's mom was the nurse on duty the morning my mom gave birth to me. The morning my mom gave birth to me... Olivia's mom, for the first time in her career, experienced what it was like to lose a patient. She barely knew my parents; but nonetheless, my mother's sudden death took its toll on her big heart. Knowing my dad was now widowed with a young son and a newborn daughter, she offered a helping hand. My dad referred to her as our guardian angel; because, she would come to visit and make sure we were all doing alright and had everything we needed. It wasn't long before she brought her family to meet mine and our families became more like one.

Olivia and I have survived some of the most memorable times of our lives together...

The day Aunt Flo paid me her first visit whilst we were at the beach; and of course I was wearing a white swimsuit - which led to kids laughing at me and Liv getting in her first fist fight.

She's been a scrappy little shit ever since.

Although a year apart, we went through the dreadful ugly and awkward as fuck phase together. She was there the day my father was laid to rest after a year long battle with pancreatic cancer and sixteen years of heartache. Olivia held me in her arms the day my brother Elijah left to go study overseas, even after I begged him not to leave.

I haven't spoken to him since that day.

I was there with her the day was accepted into the nursing program at Pennsylvania State. Then, there was the day that she announced she loved a man enough to be with him forever. Only to have him cheat on her six months later with their neighbor's brother.

Olivia has never cared about my flaws and I never cared about hers. When I act like a bitch, I know she will tell me and expect me to get over it.

I guess sometimes having a soulmate isn't always about love. You can find a soulmate in friendship too...

Which is why she is the person I run to when my life goes from a lukewarm clutter to a steaming hot mess.

I parked my car in front of the house that I've shared with Liv and her family. It was your typical two story, four bedroom house. Nothing fancy and space was tight, but it had been my home and my safe place for the last six years thanks to the selfishness of my brother. But, let's not talk about that right now.

Anyways, I ran inside and went straight up to Olivia's room in hopes she was still there.

As I reached the door, I heard her orotund voice, "Become a nurse they said... It'll be fun they said. I'd like to know exactly who they are; because, I really find it hard to believe that anyone would like to wipe asses all day."

I laughed quietly before bursting in.

."Olivia!" I screamed, eager for her attention.

"Holy shit!" She throws her five foot eight self off of her bed and onto the hardwood floor.

"Oh, good. I'm glad you're up!"

"You nearly killed me, Nat!" Liv brushed her auburn hair out of her face, " What's going on? I thought you and Mason were going out tonight?"

"We can talk about that later!" I pointed up pretentiously, "I have something really important to tell you!"

"Oh, yeah?"

"Well, we both have our degrees now and I think you're right! We do need to go somewhere that has more opportunities for us. Somewhere we can start fresh; just the two of us."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Olivia exclaimed.

"Pack your shit! We're moving to New York, bitch!"

"I've been trying to talk you into moving there for years!" Olivia pulled me into a tight, but brief, embrace. "Wait. I know you too well - What happened? Why did you change your mind all of a sudden? Did something happen with Mason?"

"It's a funny story really..."

"I'm listening."

"I may have dumped Mason tonight and told him to uh- I told him to die," Liv's mouth fell open, "after he asked me to marry him. Pretty funny, right?" I jested nervously.

"I thought you liked this one?" She wiped her hand down her face exhaustingly.

"I mean, I guess I do or did... kind of... I just don't see marriage in my future. Even if I did, I'm too young to even attempt to think about forever. I want to be free to make mistakes while I'm young enough to make them once or twice. Hell, maybe even three times if he's hot!" I joked, shooting her a wink.

"You say that now, but you just haven't found your Prince Charming yet. Trust me, Nat, falling in love is an amazing feeling. When someone you are in love with tells you that they want to spend the rest of their life with you..." She gushed, "It'll make you feel like you're on top of the world. Like nothing could ever bring you down." And just like that, her mood suddenly changed. Brows furrowed, her smile dimmed, "Then he will cheat on you, rip your heart out, and stomp on it! Forget everything I said, men suck!" Olivia huffed.

"Exactly. You may feel all giddy for a brief moment, but love never lasts. Look at my parents for example... and of course you and he who shall not be named. I've seen what heartbreak does to people and I never want to feel that way. I mean why would I? My dad never did get over the loss of my mom and it killed him. I'll be damned if I ever let my happiness depend on someone else other than myself. So, no I will not be searching for Prince Charming. I'm completely happy with having fun and kissing frogs." I primped my hair, to lighten the deep conversation we ended up in.

"I know you haven't witnessed any happily ever afters, but that doesn't mean you won't have your own."

"Liv, you better stop this nonsense before I unfriend you and you'll have to find a new bestie."

"Is that a promise?"

"Don't play, Liv, you know you can't do epic shit with basic people!" I smirked, "You need me, bitch, I'm the best you'll ever have."

"What am I going to do with you, girl?" She chortled.

"You're going to move to New York with me?

"You're sure you want to up and run away from the town we've lived in our entire lives?"

I nodded. I wasn't as sure as she wanted me to be, but I knew there was no turning back now. It was time for me to move on, nothing here was holding me back anymore.

"One hundred percent sure?"

"Yes!"

"We're doing this?"

"We are totally doing this!"

***************************************************************************************

Please vote, comment, and share if you like this story!