The Collision

Natalie

I woke up instantaneously, my eyes took in every ray of light and without a doubt I knew I've slept too long. The noises of a day in full swing, traffic heavy. I jumped up faster than a cat in water, every sense urged me to claw my way to stand.

"Shit! I'm going to be late!" I squealed, looking at my alarm that read 7:35 a.m.

I showered and dressed in a fraction of the time it usually takes me, then headed downstairs to the kitchen. If I grabbed something quick to eat and said bye to Olivia, I knew I should be able to make it to work around eight-ish.

Heavy on the -ish.

"About time you came down." Olivia happily greets me in her scrubs, "You better grab a muffin and run out the door, girl!"

"Yes, mother, hand that food over and I'll be leaving."

I snatched a muffin from her plate, and begun searching for my keys.

Where the hell did I put them?

"You lost your car keys again, didn't you?" she said knowingly, placing both of her hands on her hips.

"I didn't lose them... I just don't remember where I put them last."

"You know, if you put your keys on our key rack, like they belong, you wouldn't have to worry about finding them."

"And take the fun out of the discovery? Why would I do that?" I laughed.

"You're lucky that I know you, and I knew this would happen." she wasn't wrong, "They are on the side table by the front door."

"You're amazing, Liv!" I wrapped her in a tight hug. "Okay, I need to get the hell out of here or I'll be even later!"

"Are you not going to fix your hair?" her face distorted, gazing down at the wadded up mess that sat on top my head.

"What's wrong with my hair?"

"Natalie, you threw it up in a skank bun..."

" It's all I had time for. I'm sure my hair isn't a big deal. Hell, I'm assisting some manager or managers with paperwork, how done up do I need to be?"

"If you say so... "

"I do, and now I need to go. Love you!" I said frantically, darting out of the kitchen.

"Love you too, man." Liv hollered back at me, "I hope your day goes as good as your ass looks!"

I snatched my keys from the table and ran out the door, only to find that my car was not where I had parked it the night before.

What the fuck?

I searched up and down the street and my piece of junk Sunfire was no where to be found.

"Maybe Liv moved it." I thought, dialing her number into my phone because I was too lazy to walk back inside.

"Hey, did you move Martha?"

"No, you didn't park her out front again did you?"

"Um. I may have... Why?"

"Which way are you facing right now?"

"Towards the creepy alleyway where you park."

"I park there for a reason, Natalie." she sighed, "Look to your right."