Sisters Know Best, Right?

Ryder

Today is the big day. Today, is Natalie's first day as our assistant and I will be introducing Ryker and Natalie for the first time.

Fingers crossed everything goes well.

I step off the elevator and stroll over to the reception desk in the main lobby.

"Good morning, Ms. Romano." I'm greeted by Ayla, "Have you come for the art that was delivered over the weekend?"

"I'm not my brother, Ayla, no need for formalities." I smile, Ayla has always been a bit high strung. "But, to answer your question, si. Where is the package?"

"It is quite large, so I had them place it behind the desk."

"Oh, alright..."  I walk around the counter to see a box nearly four feet tall and about three feet wide.

There's no way I can carry that.

"On second thought, Ayla, can you call someone from the show group to come pick it up?"

"Would you like me to call Mr. King, I seen him come in a few minutes ago."

"That would be great; grazie! Have him bring it to the gallery on floor one please and tell him I will meet him there shortly. I need to run up to my office for something first."

Ayla picks up her phone and begins to dial.

Phew. That's one problem out of the way.

I turn to begin walking back to the elevator and that's when I see her.

Scarlett Westwood.

Or what I like to call her behind her back, Scarlett the Harlot.

The closer I get to her, the angrier I become.

"Ryder, darling, how are you?" Her plummy voice cuts through me like a knife.

"What are you doing here, Scarlett?"

"Always a pleasure to see you too, my lovely sister-in-law."

"Cut the shit, Ms. Westwood, and answer my question."

"If you must know, I came to bring my husband his favorite coffee."

"He is not your husband, Scarlett, and I am not your sister."

"Yet! But, her will be and you will be soon."

Not if I have anything to do with it.

"Any who, Ryker just told me what you did."

"What I did?"

"Yeah, about the young girl you hired to be your and Ryker's assistant. Not the smartest business move, if you ask me." Scarlett says condescendingly.

"Too bad I didn't ask you and I could care less what you think."

"Well, you should, but then again... you never were the smart and successful twin."

"Let's be real for second, we both know that you're just pissed that another woman will be spending more time with my brother than you."

"Please, Ryder, we both know she won't last more than a week. She won't be able to handle him like you and I can. She will either quit or he will fire her, just you wait and see. She will be out of here like the last ten assistants his controlling, perfectionist ass has managed to run off."

Her words went through me like a knife. She can belittle my intelligence, my professionalism, I don't care. But I'll be damned if I let her speak poorly about my brother. She can think she knows what is best for him all she wants; it doesn't mean she does.