Ch 10: Apology

"...Come again?"

"I said I didn't mean it. What more do you require?"

"WHAT didn't you mean, Loki?" The pain in her chest was forgotten, if only for a moment. His stare full of an emotion she couldn't quite place. Without a second thought, she stepped forward and wiped her damp face. "What didn't you mean? " her voice cracked. "And why apologize now?" Even despite all the trouble he had put her through, it was good to hear him talk to her in a way that made him equally vulnerable. What kind of monster says their sorry? What kind of monster would mean it?

"...well...any of it, I suppose." He mumbled behind the wall. "But I-what I mean to say is- what I'm-" he grunts, frustrated. "Lets just say feel guilty about the box, okay?!" He stormed away from her. "...huh." He stiffens. "What do you mean 'Huh'? I delivered my apologies, now-" "No, you didn't." He turned. "Yes, I did." "That's an apology? I don't know how you grew up, but here we say 'I'm sorry'. That was just admitting that you're guilty, and that you fucked up." She wiped her cheeks again. The damp feeling becoming a tacky cold. "But I guess for now, I'll just have to accept the half-assed version." His eyes closed, his arms crossed. "Terrific. Now please, go sulk elsewhere."

"You didn't answer me."

His eyes squeezed shut for a moment longer before he opened them, likely in annoyance. "Why did you apologize?" "Would you prefer I take it back?" Now was her turn to pause. A small sigh escaped her lips as she crossed her arms. "No, " she started. "But I would like to know why this is any different from before." She stared at him. Her hate for him slowly being replaced with, not trust or love or anything of that nature (as she had seen him in a murderous rage only a few days ago), but appreciation. Maybe a tad bit of curiosity was taking over as well.

He moved closer. His steps soft. His voice softer. "That's for another day."

{Time Skip}

His words echoed in her head. Though not unpleasant or harsh as they had been before...there was something wrong about them. They sent shivers upher spine, pushing a button that set off alarms in her head. How could she trust any of what he said after he tried killing her?

Killing everyone.

Anyone.