Chapter 41

Sakura had never once thought that returning to Hogwarts would be as enjoyable as it was that day. The hallowed halls truly was a sight for sore eyes. 

With a sigh of relief, she stepped forwards. Her feet took her down the familiar twists and turns to the room in which she'd resided in throughout her previous stays at the school.

Smiling at the sound of her heel clicking against the tiled floor, she dragged her suitcase towards the hospital ward. The excitement of her return numb to her, as though this was just a dream, she found herself unable to quite grasp the concept of her return.

But whether it had truly sunk in or not, she was currently walking down the corridors of the prestigious school of witchcraft and wizardry. She was finally home.

But her excitement was short-lived for not long after her return, news of attacks on the muggle and wizarding worlds alike spread through Hogwarts. A newspaper delivered to each of the teachers -Sakura included- by owls of varying shapes and sizes. 

The birds swooping in from the open windows and dropping the rolled-up papers in front of the professors. The chaos causing more than one soup to be spilt upon an unsuspecting person.

The news of the death had been quite disheartening to Sakura though. She'd hoped for a better world, better news in this new world. But clearly, in a world of power, there will always be good and bad. There will always be death, no matter how hard you try to stop it; mortality is undefeatable.

But the pink-haired girl did little more than pick her feet up and continue onwards as though little had occurred otherwise. The disheartening news doing little to deter her from her everyday life. Or at least, that is what appeared to be happening on the surface.

It wasn't long after that that the Hogwarts express arrived at Hogsmeade bringing the students along with it. As per usual, the red train arrived at night, the half-giant gamekeeper going out to receive the students who came with it.

"Very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn." the teachers and students alike began to give the man, polite applause as he rose to his feet.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post as potions master. Meanwhile, the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape." the murmurs and lack of applause indicated the surprise -and likely disapproval- of this unexpected arrangement.

"As many of you may also have noticed, we have been rejoined by Miss Sakura Haruno. She will be returning to her previous position in the medical ward, so please remember to show her respect."

The crowd cheered loudly as the pink-haired girl rose to wave at them. Her green eyes gleaming in the candles that levitated just below the ceiling. They had missed the young woman greatly over the previous year. Her recent return having been quite positively received.

"As you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight, and you have the right to know why." silence enveloped the hall once more as Dumbledore began to weave his tale.

"Once there was a young man, who once, like you, sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, stepped under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student, like any other, his name, Tom Riddle."

Dumbledore went silent, hesitating to speak as murmurs overtook the previously enraptured audience. Their curiosity about the unknown boy's importance clear in their words and the topic of many of their discussions.

"Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name, which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. 

"Every day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's very walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about."

"Now off to bed, pip-pip." his once solemn tone turning slightly more cheerful as he dismissed the student body. Their silence erupting once more into chatter as they rose from their benches and disappeared through the large double doors on the far side of the Great Hall.

Sakura smiled at Severus as the students left the room, "Congratulations, you finally got the job that you wanted. You deserve it, really." She gave him a close-eye smile, slight dimples forming on her cheeks s she beamed up at the man. Her expression told him all he needed to know, she meant what she said.

After wishing Severus a good night, Sakura scampered off to introduce herself to Professor Slughorn. The much older man proving to be able to hold a rather interesting conversation, his extensive knowledge of potions putting Snape's to the test.

Thank you for being patient about the later update, and sorry its slightly shorter than normal, but I'm exhausted from my flight. I'll try and update a longer one soon if I can!