ii. mira raine

finally freedom has found her
sunlight in her eyes

"YES, mom, for the last time, i'm not going to forget your cherries."

"i know, sweetie, but they're finally in season and i want to make some pie... oh, i also need some butter and sugar, would you mind?"

my mom kept on rambling as she put some money in my hand and practically shoved me out the door. i sighed and rolled my eyes, mounted my bike and headed to the grocery store.

the summer breeze hit my face, and the sun shone brightly, and kids with lemonade stands roared with laughter. summer had finally arrived in yellow springs.

summer means going everywhere barefoot, eating ice cream daily, and getting so tan you don't even recognize yourself. it means staying up so late you don't even need to wait to watch the sunrise, and getting so many freckles that any imperfection is out of sight.

summer makes me feel like freedom has found me.

i jumped out of my bike and walked into the grocery store, the smell of fresh fruit hitting my senses.

i grabbed some sugar and butter from the baking section when my favorite song started playing from the speakers.

"oh, i love this song!," i said to no one in particular while leaving my things in my cart and dancing and humming the words.

it was summer when i saw your face

looked like a teenage runaway

oh god, i never thought we'd take it this far

some killer queen you are

it was a crash that made me come back to reality, and i noticed i had bumped into a boy.

"oh my god, i'm so sorry," i laughed apologetically, because honestly, that's what i get for dancing i'm the middle of the store.

the boy smiled and picked up the oranges he was previously holding while looking at me as if trying to figure me out.

"hey," he said. "you smell like summer."

"oh, yeah," i smiled, taken aback. "it's my perfume, i guess."

i handed him the bag of avocados he dropped. "you might want to exchange this, though, they might be all bruised now."

"ah, well, they'll make a good guacamole."

he just stared at me with a smile on his face. i noticed he had dimples. i stared at him in wonderment.

"i'm mira. mira raine." i held out my hand.

"harry." he stretched it.

"what's your middle name?"

"edward."

"it's nice to meet you, harry edward. you're not from around here, are you?"

"it's... complicated," he said while running a hand through his hair. i noticed it was really curly. "what about you?"

"moved here a few years ago," i said. "you're staying here for the summer?"

"i am. pretty bored and free to hang out," he smiled.

"i'll take you up on that offer, harry edward. but i should really get going because my mom will kill me if she can't make her pie before dinner."

"maybe if you didn't dance around the store... goodbye, mira raine," he said and i rolled my eyes but smiled as i waved at him.

i paid for my groceries and rode back home.

i was getting into my house and placing the groceries into the table when i realized.

shit. the cherries.