iii. harry

seeing you with my eyes,
i got the time for that

"harry? HARRY!"

"what? what is it?"

charlie rolled his eyes at me and tossed me the baseball he was playing with.

"did you not hear a word i said?"

"nope."

"cheers, mate. okay, who's the girl?"

"what the hell? why would you even assume that?"

he gave me the look that quite plainly told me that he knew me better than i knew myself.

"harold."

"charleston."

"don't call me that!"

"don't call me harold! it's not even my name!"

"dude. just spill."

"fine," i sighed, knowing he was not letting go of this. "i met this girl."

"i gathered."

i glared at him before sighing and running a hand through my already messy hair. "red, curly hair. freckles, big blue eyes. smelled like summer. danced in the middle of the store. her name's mira raine."

charlie groaned and rubbed his face with both hands.

"what?" i asked.

"and there goes another one," he sighed and gave me a look that almost looked like pity.

"i don't get it," i said.

"of course you don't get it, harry. and you probably won't until she breaks your heart like she did with every boy in yellow springs."

"who's talking about her breaking my heart? we just bumped into each other, that's all," i said defensively.

"listen to me, harry," he said seriously. "mira raine is trouble. get that in your head."

-

the clock in my nightstand was ten minutes late. still, it was almost midnight and i wasn't even a little sleepy. being back in yellow springs brought a lot of mixed emotions, and i could only wish to sleep every day away to avoid going crazy.

i was just about to go into another mental rant when i heard something hit my window. i stayed still for a while, wondering if i had imagined it. tap. okay, i definitely hadn't imagined it. i opened my window and peered down.

"mira raine!?"

"hey, harry edward," she whispered-yelled. "fancy an adventure?"

"what the hell are you doing?" i asked in bewilderment.

"asking the boy i bumped into today to go with me on an adventure. jeez, harry edward, you aren't that bright, are you?" she said with a smile on her face.

"i can't believe you," i said, but i couldn't deny i was amazed by her.

she shrugged. "most people can't. now come on! don't make me go dance in the middle of another store so i can ask someone else on an adventure!"

"they wouldn't be half as cute as me," i muttered while getting out of my window and jumping towards the tree beside it.

she beamed at me when i finally landed next to her.

"great," she whispered. "you'll need this." she tossed me a flashlight and grabbed my hand, running away and getting lost into the night.

mira raine was trouble, alright.