13. A lullaby

TW // mention of slight gore.

ஜீ

It's 2 am in the morning. The streets are deathly silent as an eerie mist envelops the street. The street lights look dim, adding to the somewhat unsettling atmosphere.

Hurried footsteps can be heard as a man dashes through the empty alley ways, breathing heavily and cautiously looking behind his back as if he was being chased by somebody.

The man keeps running until he finally ends up at a dead end. He instantly turns around. Amidst the darkness of the alley, another pair of footsteps can be heard, this one seemed a lot more relaxed. A figure slowly walks towards the man, eerily calm and collected.

The man starts to yell while shuffling backwards.
"Y-you! Stop right there! Don't you know who I am!? I-I'll give you anything you want! Money, fame, vanity, anything!!" The man yells at the figure but the said figure doesn't halt. The figure starts to hum a song. The distorted voice echoes throughout the alley.

"I-I'll make you regret this, you hear m-!" This shouting is cut off by the figure plunging towards the man and grabbing him by his face. The man starts to shake uncontrollably due to sheer fear. The figure continues to sing with a distorted voice as it looks at the man its holding with glowing amethyst eyes. Its hands start to glow as it abruptly stops singing.

"In the name of the miracle of God, I bring down the hammer of wrath upon those who are corrupt and beyond salvation."

-

"Well that's just an awful way to die, ain't it?" Miyazawa says while looking at the scene. Atsushi feels sick to his stomach and Kunikida has his arms folded while he stares straight ahead. He then slowly crouches down in front of one of the several mutilated limbs.

"Yeah, no wonder we're the ones dealing with it."

The end of a certain alley way is covered in blood. Insides and various parts of a man's body is splattered all over the walls. Half of the man's head is rolled off into a corner.

"John Leonstein." Dazai states as he walks towards Kunikida. Kunikida nods and stands up as Dazai stands next to him, looking at the entire scene.

"I first thought that he was probably torn to shreds but the more I look at it, the more it seems like he was blown up from the inside." Kunikida says, frowning slightly.

"Do you think it could be that Port Mafia guy? What was his name again..-" Atsushi trails off.

"Motojiro Kaiji. No, its not him. He uses explosives. However, there isn't a single trace of gunpowder here." Dazai says before turning around and examining the alley.

"John Leonstein, notorious for corruption, drugs, arms and human trafficking in the high brass. To simply put it, he was a scum of society." Kunikida says while getting up and walking away from the murder scene.

"Someone like that must naturally have a lot of enemies." Atsushi replies while following close behind.

"Amethyst eyes... snow white hair... Now that I think of it.. how old is she again?" Dazai mumbles to himself while in deep thought after recalling what Ango had mentioned.

"Dazai, what's wrong? We're leaving." Kunikida calls out to his partner after noticing that Dazai was still in the alley.

Dazai snaps out of his thoughts and smiles at Kunikida while walking towards him.
-

The Armed Detective Agency is in chaos. The tables and sofas are all covered in papers and documents, the reports regarding the Ability Experimentation and John Leonstein all mixed up together. The members of the agency all trying to get information on the recent incident with John Leonstein, seemed like they were barely getting any sleep.

Amidst all the chaos, Dazai happily hums while listening to questionable songs through his headphones. Seeing this, Kunikida drop kicks the brunette before dragging him and seating him next to a mountain of documents which Atsushi was going through.

"He's way too strict with me.." Dazai sobs while picking up one of the documents sulkily. The white haired male next to him just laughs while continuing to flip through various reports. Dazai peeks at one of the reports Atsushi had sprawled over the desk before a shiver runs up his spine.

"Hey Atsushi, whats that?" Dazai gestures toward a single document.

"Oh that? That's the report on one of the families that John Leonstein supposedly tried to frame a few months ago. Coincidentally, that family pops up in a lot of the reports regarding Leonstein—" Atsushi replies while reaching over to pick up the document. He flips over it and shows it to Dazai.

"—The Goethe Family."

-
-

Hey y'all! I'm sorry for the slow updates. School has been taking up all of my time and I've also been sick for quite a while :')
P.s. the song/lullaby the figure hums is this, I'm in love with Promised Neverland *sobs*

xoxo