Back Home

"Dad I said I'm sorry!" I screamed. "You deliberately went where you weren't suppose to!" He yelled back. I hated him using big words. "Can we talk about this another time? I'm sleepy!" I whined. "Sure, But you're grounded until further notice!" He yelled. I stomped my foot. "But dad!" He chuckled. "Goodnight, I love you." I slammed my door and went under the covers. I cried as I thought about how I took my mother's life. Because of me her pregnancy killed her. I'm the true serial killer.

  My eyes opened suddenly as someone had their hand across my mouth. The alarm clock read 2:45 a.m. "Shhh, this shouldn't take long." A shot was pierced through my collar bone as I let out a small whimper. My eyes slowly shut as a tear fell down my cheek.

I woke up to something dripping on me. My vision was blurry. Across from me, my dad was out cold tied to a chair. "Dad!" My hoarse voice said. Rosie stepped out from behind him. "Daddy can't hear you, bitch." She said. "Why? Why are you doing this?" I cried. "Every day of my life has been about her! Grieving, crying and everyone makes it a point to compare us!" She screamed. "Rosie we can work this out!" I yelled. Jason opened his eyes. He began fighting. "Let her go!" He yelled. "No, it's all you. You created her. You kept my sister and made my life a living hell!" She screamed. "SHE CHOSE TO STAY. SHE FOUND OUT SHE WAS PREGNANT!" Jason yelled. Rosie stared blankly. "Those little droplets, that's gas. In exactly 5 minutes, this shack will be ashes. Fuck you." She said as she walked out and slammed the door. "Daddy.." I looked at him. "Fire can't kill me." He said. "Remember that knife I told you to keep in your boot? Reach your leg around and shimmy it up." I did as I was told. "Good girl." I began sawing at my wrists as flames curtained around me. My dream. The dream I had days before came true. Was it a sign? I shook and screamed and kicked. "Don't lose focus Leah! Do it for me, do it for your mother!" He yelled. I shut my eyes. I saw my mother's face. Leah.. I've loved you since day one. Now is not your time. Fight.

  I opened my eyes. I kicked my foot towards the knife and slid it down to my hand. I grabbed it and began sawing at my ropes. With one hand free, I reached over and cut loose the other. I untied my feet and jumped the flames to reach my dad. I freed him. "That's my girl." He said. The roof began falling. We looked around. "There!" I pointed to a small opening. Dad held my hand as he pulled me through the flames. Fire fell from everywhere. We came through the hole as he held me. "Dad..." I cried. "It's okay baby." He held me. "Mom's phone, her picture and suitcase. It's all in my closet." I cried harder.

    Jason let go of his daughter as memories flooded his mind.
      "This baby means everything to me, so do you." Taylor touched Jason's face as he blushed under his mask. She began pushing a new life out of her. Her own life was slowly being taken from her. She gripped Jason's hand tightly. She screamed as a baby cry overtook the air. Jason held his daughter in his hands. "She l-looks like a... Leah." Taylor said. She began coughing. Jason looked down on his daughter and looked back up at Taylor. Her eyes weren't moving. Leah cried and cried. A tear fell down his mask as he gazed over at the love of his life.

  Jason knew what he has to do. "I love you Leah Taylor." He laid her down and ran back through the hole. "Dad no!" She cried as she grabbed her knees. She wiped her eyes. "What am I suppose to do? I'm alone! Daddy!" She cried. Footsteps approached her. "Hmm all alone? No one to comfort you? Paybacks a bitch." Rosie walked in front of Leah. "Leave us alone! You killed my dad!" Leah cried. "Well YOU killed my sister and so did your sport mask, murderous, dead, rotten, maggot-infested father! My sister didn't even love him!" She yelled. That completely broke Leah. Something snapped inside of her. "You bitch!" Leah jumped up and punched Rosie. Rosie then slapped Leah as they began rolling in the dirt. Punches and blood threw everywhere. Rosie began choking Leah. She thought she saw a light as she began to give up.
You're knife I told you to keep Leah.

She remembered her dad's words. She reached and grabbed her pocket knife. She flipped it. "I'm my mother's keeper, bitch." She slit Rosie's throat as she gasped for air. Leah began coughing.

    I woke up in ashes. The shack was nothing but smoke. I wiped my swollen eyes. I walked to the edge of the fire and picked up a half burnt hockey mask. I fell to my knees and began crying. A few hours later, I made my way to my grandparent's house. I explained everything about Rosie to them. They took me in and fed me.