Chapter Six

Warnings: Angst

Word Count: 2190

Author's Note: Ok, so I expected the last chapter to frustrate a lot of you, but oh my gosh some of you were heated!! (And I don't blame you in the slightest). Anyway, hopefully this chapter clears some things up. Enjoy :)

*     *     *

My fingernails were digging so deeply into my palms that I was sure it would leave marks. I watched as Josh chatted with Y/N just inside the door, despite the fact that she said she had to leave nearly ten minutes ago. She glanced at me every so often, but I simply offered her a smile and acted like I was doing something on my phone.

"Ok, I really need to get going," Y/N said, checking the time on her phone for the third time during their conversation. "My parents are going out tonight and I told them I would look after Georgie, they'll be waiting on me."

"It was really nice getting a chance to talk with you," Josh said, offering her his signature smile. "Hopefully we get another opportunity soon."

My jaw clenched.

"Agreed, I'll definitely be over here more often," she returned his smile.

Josh pulled her into a hug and my fists tightened. This was ridiculous.

"Bye, Tyler."

I barely even registered that Y/N had said my name. My right hand loosened as I raised it to wave at her. Hopefully she wouldn't notice the deep ridges in my palm from my fingernails.

Josh closed the door behind her and slowly wandered into the kitchen, whistling to himself. I stood in place, waiting until I heard the heavy metal door in the hallway slam. Y/N always took the stairs down.

"What was that about?" I asked.

Josh turned to me with furrowed eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"With Y/N!" I said, throwing an exasperated arm into the air.

He pursed his lips, "I'm not entirely sure what you mean, Tyler."

"Don't play dumb."

"I'm not playing dumb! I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about."

"The flirting? 'There's a lot of people here that I want to get to know.' Come on, man," I said, running my hands through my hair.

Josh grabbed one of the plates from the sink and began to rinse it off. "It was harmless, Tyler. I honestly didn't think it would be a big deal."

"Obviously it's a big deal! You know how I feel about her. Did you really think that I wouldn't care if you went around blatantly flirting with her right in front of me?"

"She was flirting back! You can't pin all the blame on me for what happened. Had she been uncomfortable, I would have stopped immediately, but she wasn't."

"That's not the point, Josh! You know that I like her. That alone should be enough to stop you from flirting with her like - well, like that!"

Josh set the plate that he had been washing down in the sink and wiped his hands off on a nearby towel.

"Why aren't you doing anything about it, then? If I didn't know any better, I would think you two were nothing more than friends. If you were actively pursuing her, I wouldn't have flirted. You're right. But you've had your chance, Ty, and you're lying to yourself if you think I'm the only guy that's going to show interest in her."

I shook my head, "You don't get it. Why don't you try spending some time in my head, alright? Do you know how badly I want to tell her how I feel?"