Chapter 17 - Humairah

Yesterday was amazing, my Ahmad got me a phone, a sim card, and opened an instant savings account for me. I didn't know how to thank him, he had done so much to me. He paid me my salary and we drove back home.

One impressing thing was how ATM cards were made, mine was erected in front of me using a machine. The banker in charge told me I was very lucky to have Ahmad Jaafar by my side, if not even BVN could take me days to get. Well, I was lucky indeed!

Today Sarah didn't come to work early, she was kind of ill so she had to take some pills first. I did her chores for her and as soon as she arrived she began helping me with mine despite asking her not to, she said she was fine already. Well, I didn't argue with her.

We were in the kitchen chitchating and cooking dinner when Naziha bounced in without a Salaam. "Hey Humairah, where is that phone?" She glared at me.

"The one Oga (boss) bought for me?" I quivered.

"No, the one I bought for you... yar iska kawai (stupid girl)!" She said almost giving me a slap. She was so engrossed in anger.

"Okay, ma" I said as I quickly brought out the phone from my bag which was on a stool and handed it over to her.

"He doesn't have money to pay for my trips but he has money to waste on you!" She said bouncing out of the kitchen. Just then we started hearing Ahmad disputing with her, we couldn't clearly hear what they were saying but in few seconds she came back with the phone and handed it over to me. "I never knew you took loan to buy it, I thought it was free!" She mischievously smiled and left.

"Loan?" Sarah giggled as she gently patted me. "So, Ahmad told her you took loan?"

"I guess so, meanwhile it is free" I said.

"Well, you should keep your mouth shut before she hear that from you. Seriously, I am scared of that woman. She can kill" Sarah said as she washed the vegetables gently into a glass bowl.

"She can't kill me" I said as I returned the phone into my bag and continued with what I was doing before she came.

"Like seriously? She can not kill you because Ahmad loves you too, right?" Sarah hypothesised with a wrinkled brow. She had been saying Ahmad loved me ever since she came, I didn't know why and she wasn't willing to tell me. Was she jealous or something?

"Why are you always saying he loves me? Did he told you that?" I queried.

"Maybe not, but his actions says it all" She said as she gave me a weird gaze.

"Well, it is not a crime if he does" I blushed.

"I knew you love him too!" She squealed.

"Huh?" I wrinkled my brows.

...

As soon as we finished cooking dinner we served Ahmad and his wife, thus Sarah took excuse and left before time due to her piercing headache, it had started again.

I ate my own dinner in the kitchen and just as the boss and his wife were through with theirs, he texted me.

"Humairah, we are done"

Of course I could read, I didn't drop out of school until I reached secondary level remember? I smiled at his text and unhesitatingly left the kitchen to the dining area. Before, it was a scream but now it had turned to text message.

I cleared the dining, took the tableware to the kitchen and washed them. That was my final task for the day so I went back to the dining area and bade them goodbye before going outside. Faisal and Mubarak were busy eating their meal when I teasingly announced my presence to them with a vehement clap.