6

amara rahman

my mind was wide awake at six in the morning, in which i couldn't possibly get myself to fall back asleep.

i embrace the silence downstairs while pouring a cup of coffee. javi hadn't been in his room, meaning he'd already left for the diner. my parents weren't supposed to be home until the evening, and i had been planning on lounging around all day.

i'd thought about jack's text from last night, feeling a nerve of anger rush through my body. he wasn't allowed to pretend to care, especially not after last night.

after drinking my coffee, i head back upstairs to grab my phone from my room, in which i was practically unable to stay away from the device.

i made sure not to check any social media last night, instead indulging myself in youtube videos to take my mind off of things.

it hadn't worked, and everything went farther into shit when jack had texted me. the vibration from my phone had snapped me out of my thought, and i glanced down.

nate —
can we hang today?
i can come over or u can
or we can meet somewhere

i look up from my phone. he'd texted this a few hours ago, meaning he most likely was still sleeping. i wasn't sure if i wanted to talk to him, or if jack had asked him to talk to me. but i decide to go along with it.

— amara
come over whenever
you're awake

nate —
i'm awake :) see u soon

READ

i let out a sigh, sprawling myself out on my bed. the sunrise began to peek out from my blinds, allowing light into my room. i'd wanted to get up and pull the blinds tighter, but i couldn't find the willpower.

next thing i'd known, my doorbell had rang and i realized i'd taken a thirty minute nap.

"hey," nate greets as soon as i open the door, before his smile falls. "oh, were you sleeping?"

"come in," i murmur, stepping back to let him in. i was thankful that my parents lost the password to check our security cameras, otherwise i'd be screwed over several times.

"i'm assuming no one's home. otherwise, i wouldn't even be allowed in the neighborhood."

i roll my eyes at his exaggeration, closing the door behind him. "yeah, until tonight."

"what were you planning on doing all day?"

"sleep. watch netflix. rewatch the vampire diaries for the seventh time."

"come with bri and i," he suggests. "we're going to a haunted maze."

"i'd rather not." i reply, "want anything to drink? or eat?"

"i'm good." he says, seating himself at the edge of our couch.

"have you not slept yet?" i ask.

"not really. i woke up at two in the afternoon yesterday so i haven't been able to crash yet. probably when i go home."

i give him a look, "your sleeping schedule is worse than mine."

he lets out a laugh, and i manage a smile. "so, did you have fun last night? you left early."

i wasn't sure what he knew, considering i hadn't told anyone. but jack could've. "it was alright, a little hard."