Distraction

Lex had the perfect day planned for his Mother and Sister. He'd met them for lunch at a small diner they frequented as children. He knew it was Lena's favorite place to go up until their father died. He had introduced it to them one year for Lena's birthday, and over time it went from where they had Lena's birthday dinners, to a place they went to once every two months when everyone was free. After that, he took them to the new museum that opened earlier in the year. Both Lena and Lillian had expressed an interest in going when they heard about the exhibits that were going to be built.

In the back seat of the car, Lena sat staring out the window as Lex drove them back to the Luthor mansion. A small bag of souvenirs sat at her feet. Small trinkets Lex got for her to mess with, knowing she would enjoy taking them apart and trying to put them back together again.

"Did you have fun today?" He asked, glancing at her in the rearview mirror. Glancing away from the passing trees, she smiled and nodded, a matching grin appearing on her brother's face. Taking out her phone she checked the time. 3:27 Kara should be out of school.

Hey. ~L

Sending the message, she dropped her phone in her lap. The ride was quiet, the soft music from the radio and the occasional conversation between Lillian and Lex helping pass the time. All too soon, their journey was over, and Lex was pulling into a parking space beside the mansion.

Hey Lena. ~K

Running up to her room to put her new trinkets away, she sat on her bed to check her phone.

How was your day? ~L

Fine. ~K

Are you sure? ~L

Yeah. How was yours? ~K

I had fun. Lex took us to that new museum. He got me some souvenirs I can tinker with. ~L

Cool! ~K

I'm sorry but I won't be able to come over... ~K

What? Why? ~L

I may have... kind of... gotten into a fight? ~K

A fight?! ~L

Are you okay? ~L

... ~K

I'm sorry. ~K

That doesn't answer my question. Are you okay? ~L

I'll be fine. I managed to break my finger... ~K

Your finger?! Kara, what were you thinking? ~L

Don't worry, his nose is broken too. ~K

Where are you? ~L

The uh... the hospital ~K

I'll come to you then. ~L

No, Lena, you don't have to. ~K

I'll be there in a few. ~L

Staring at the screen, Kara knew she had to figure out how to tell Lena that she fought him. She had no idea how she was going to do that, but she knew she needed to. She also needed to figure out how she was going to tell Eliza. She managed to keep Alex from calling her on the way to the hospital, but she was sure the school called about her partaking in a fight. Eliza would no doubt be mad. Furious even. Kara had no idea what she was going to do. Would the Danvers want to keep her around? Is she someone capable of that kind of violence? Sure, she's never fought anyone on purpose, nor has she lost control as easily and quickly, but the fact that she now knows she can is scary to her. Sitting alone in her hospital room with nothing to distract her, her mind wanders back to the dark, her fears creeping in on her. Her mind is swirling with overwhelming thoughts as her knuckles throb and her fingers ache. Her wrists are sore and the headache forming in her temple begins to feel like needles, drilling into her forehead. Her focus becomes less and less clear as she struggles to come up with ideas. What can she say that won't upset anyone? How can she explain what happened without looking and feeling like a monster?

She doesn't think for much longer before a knock on the door interrupts her thoughts. Tensing on the bed, she winces when pain shoots up her left arm. Kara? She hears from the other side of the door. She already knows who it is. She has no idea what she's going to do, but she knows she can't leave Lena standing outside forever. She's been told several times in past therapy sessions that no matter how long or far she runs, she cannot outrun her problems. And right now, she's faced with one of the toughest problems she could come across. Calling for Lena to come in, she watches as the door opens to her best friend.

"Hey." The brunette smiles, crossing the room to stand by Kara's side.

"Hey, Lena." The blonde says, keeping her eyes trained on the pale sheets of her hospital bed.

"How are you feeling?" Lena asks, placing a hand on Kara's shoulder.

"I'm fine" She nods, fighting the tears pooling in her eyes. Turning away from Lena, she feels the first drops trail down her cheek.

"Kara," sighing, Lena turns Kara's head, so they are looking at each other. "what's wrong?"

The tears flowed faster and stronger, her emotions were becoming too overwhelming and she couldn't hold back the sob that escaped. Her shoulders shook as she turned her head away from Lena once again, not wanting to see the look of disapproval she was sure she was going to get.