7

The next day in literature, I couldn't help myself from turning around over and over again, just to see who was there and what they were doing.

I caught Jason's eye, and almost fell off my seat when he winked at me. Whipping my head around quickly, I came face to face with Mr. Philips.

"See something interesting?"

I wanted to tell him that I had seen something very interesting indeed, but I knew he would ask what, and for some reason, that moment of eye contact between me and Jason felt very personal.

"I was just seeing if my friend was here."

"How about you let me worry about that, and you focus on your report?" He smiled with no warmth, and took a step back from my desk.

I nodded, waiting until he was gone to lean over towards Cooper.

"Maybe it's him." Cooper whispered, head down, and lips twitching as he tried to hide his smile.

"Old Fusspot Philips?" I was surprised that I forgot to whisper in return. Cooper shushed my fiercely, and I looked around to see if anyone else heard me.

I caught Miller's eye, and knew they had heard my by the way they smiled at me. Laurie, who sat next to Miller, had his head on the desk and didn't look liked he's heard anything. At least he was in class today.

"Dude, shut up!" Cooper pulled at my arm in his alarm, and I quickly lowered my tone.

"Do you think he heard me?"

"I don't know. But he seemed pretty in tuned to you recently. And I think I can guess why." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, and I pulled a disgusted face.

"That's gross, Cooper. Stop being so weird."

"I'm just kidding, Zee."

He laughed it off, and we went back to our work. Still, I couldn't seem to focus, no matter how hard I tried. I kept thinking about what Cooper said. Of course, I wasn't taking the think about Mr. Philips seriously, but it was strange to think that someone in this room was probably thinking about me right now. Someone in this room loves me, apparently, and I am nowhere close to figuring out who it is.

The thought that maybe I would catch them staring, if I turned around fast enough, kept me on edge all during class. I convinced myself that I felt someone's eyes staring into my very soul from that moment on. I was so restless, it was a wonder I took any of our lesson in.

Someone in this room liked me. No, loved me, and they were sitting behind me. It was an aggravating thought. I had no means of satiating my curiosity, and I felt helplessly dependent on this person, whoever they were, to answer this question in their own due time. And it didn't seem like that was any time soon.

I think Cooper could sense my irritation. He kept sending me sideways glances. He watched my hands as they fiddled with any and everything I could get ahold off. By the time the bell rang, I was a mess of nerves and impatience.

If only they would do something, anything, to let me know who they were.

Up until now, it was flattering to know that someone liked me. It was fun to try and guess who it was. But now, now I needed to know. I couldn't handle this much longer.

I almost jumped when I heard Anne's voice behind me.

"You don't come to class early anymore."

"Well, I really only did for a few days." I smiled easily at her, trying to hide how flustered I felt talking to someone as beautiful as her.

"I know." She frowned. "I liked it when you came early. I don't really see you any other time."

"Well, I'm sure we could fix that." I leaned back against my desk, hearing Cooper mutter something under his breath, before he walked away to talk to Taylor.

"What did you have in mind?" She sat on the desk next to me, pulling her short, thick hair out of her face to look at me.

"Well...we could always study together? You seem like your doing pretty well at literature, and I have to be honest, I can't seem to remember anything from the last week or so."

"Are you sure you're not just trying to use me, Zion?" She pushed my shoulder gently, and I turned my head away, trying to hide the faint blush that she had unknowingly caused by her touch.

I caught Miller's eye for the second time that day, but this time, I couldn't quite read the expression in their eyes. They were closed off, and pulled their eyes away from mine the second they met.

"Of course not! I'd offer to help you in return, but I'm a pretty story B- in all subjects, and I doubt you are as dumb as that."

"You shouldn't run yourself down like that, Zion." She frowned again, this time looking me straight in the eyes. "Grades don't make a person who they are. I would love to study with you."

"Oh, good." I didn't quite know what to say with her sitting so close to me, her eyes holding mine and not letting go.

"Zion! Guess who else is in our class?" Suddenly, Cooper's voice interrupted whatever that moment was, and Anne leaned back so I could see just exactly who Cooper was talking to.

I felt a grin spreading across my whole face as I looked up to see my old football teammate, Rowan Bates, grinning back at me.