24

I wasn't really mad at Cooper and Laurie anymore. For one, I was terrible at staying mad, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that they were just idiots trying to help out. But that doesn't mean I'd just let things go back to normal. I didn't really know how.

I'm not sure how long I would have gone on without talking to them, but then, Saturday afternoon, Cooper called me.

"Hello?" I greeted him, surprise evident in my voice.

"Look, I know you hate me right now, but I have no one else to turn to." He sounded so upset that I immediately dropped all pretense of anger.

"What's wrong? Are you okay, Cooper?" I asked in alarm, already looking for my shoes in case I needed to go help him in any way.

"I'm fine. It's Laurie. His dad....and my mom isn't home...I need help. Laurie won't listen to me. He's really hurt. Just, please, forget about us being such assholes to you for one minute, and come help me?"

"Are you at your house? I can be there in five minutes." I heard shuffling in the back, and a murmured voice protesting about something. It sounded like Laurie.

"I'm almost home. I'll meet you there."

"Okay." I was about to end the call, but Cooper's voice stopped me.

"Zion?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you. So much."

I wanted to tell him right then and there that I really wasn't that mad and that of course I would do whatever I needed to to protect my friends, but I knew I could tell him all of that in person very soon. Right now, he needed to focus on Laurie.

"Of course." I smiled, although he couldn't see it, knowing he'd be able to hear it in my voice.

I rode my bike to Cooper's house. It wasn't far, and usually I'd just walk, but I needed to get there fast. I didn't have time to get my guardian's permission to take the car. I didn't bother knocking, Cooper's home was basically a second home to me at this point. I'm sure a lot of people felt that way. He and his family were literally the kindest people ever.

When I walked in the living room, it looked like Cooper and Laurie had just gotten there. Cooper was in the middle of trying to make Laurie lay back on the couch, and Miller was rushing around looking for bandages. I forgot Miller would be here.

"Oh, Zion! Thank you for coming. Please help me. He's kind of...out of it." Cooper's voice was strained, close to tears, and it was easy to see why.

Laurie sat there, broken and bloody, mumbled words leaving his mouth at intervals, his eyes wild, as he continued to fight all off Cooper's ministrations. It was clumsy and weak, but he fought just the same, something in him not wanting to give in to help, even now.

"Hey, Laurie." I greeted him softly, so he wouldn't be alarmed when I came closer, and helped Cooper.

"Lay down now, baby. It's okay. You're safe." Cooper assured him, but Laurie continued to push at him with one of his arms, the other one he kept close to his chest.

"Hey, that's okay. You don't need to lay down. We can just bandage your face for now." I suggested, moving to stand beside Cooper, and gently holding Laurie in place by his shoulder.

"Don't need...anything." Laurie gasped out, looking at me angrily for intruding. "Not that bad." He tried to reassure us, and Cooper tried to protest, but I spoke first.

"Of course it's not that bad. Cooper's just dramatic. Let's just clean up some of these cuts, and then if you want to lay down you can. I didn't sleep that well last night, so I'm probably going to lay down in a little bit as well."