Chapter 10

When I finally pushed the door open, Percy looked over from the balcony doors. He sat up when he saw me enter hesitantly. I set a cup of tea down on the floor for him before leaning against the other side of the door frame. I watched him carefully as he moved to grab the cup. When he looked up at me, he immediately looked down again.

"I'm not mad at you," I started, which earned his gaze. "I can do the cooking from now on if it makes it easier on you. I won't eat as much either." He swallowed hard and chewed on his lip. "I won't pick at you anymore either; I know it upsets you now."

"You didn't do anything wrong, Jules." He finally spoke. "I shouldn't have hurt you because you've never done anything mean to me. You've only been kind to me. I don't mind cooking. I'm not mad because you ate food, so don't think it's like your adoptive family all over again. You can have whatever you want and don't have to ask for it." He was staring at me as he talked, but I couldn't meet his eyes, so I stared at my cup of tea. "I-I'm truly sorry for hurting you. I thought that if I made us have space, I wouldn't like you as much as I do. It's not professional to like you, and it's shallow of me to like you because you're with two other men. I have Alex, too."

"I'm just confused is all," He waited patiently for me to continue. "I knew that you had some feelings for me, but you have Alex, and I have the twins. I know it isn't fair to you to always do the things I do or say the things I say. It's not like we're trying to be together and cheat." I could hear him panting slightly. "I guess it would be up to the three others what to do about it."

"Yeah," He said quietly. "I just, I want you to know that I am sorry and that I understand if the twins bar us from seeing you anymore."

"I don't want that," He took in a breath. "I do really like you and Alex, and you've both been there for me the most compared to any other person in my life. I was just sort of hurt that you were upset with me."

"I wasn't upset with you. I'm sorry that I made you feel that way."

"I also didn't think that you would ever hurt me. You were always the one person that I knew would never lay a hand on me. So, I'm confused by that and sort of scared." He fidgeted in his seat for a moment and gripped the mug. "I can handle anything the other three do to me, but I can't handle if you do something to me like that." The feeling of ache came back, and it started to get hard to breathe. "I expect it from the other three, but not from you. It hurts more when it's you." I swallowed down that feeling again and again as I spoke. 

"I broke your trust," His voice cracked, making me finally look up. He was crying and trying to keep himself together. "I can say sorry until my voice won't work, but you can't fix broken trust." He looked outside and tried to keep it together. I knew that if he looked at me, it would be over for both of us. 

"You won't do it again?" He looked at me as if I had said something shocking, making me wince back against the door frame.