VII

"I need you to come at Steve Rogers apartment in seven hours. There are some things we need to discuss."

That was all Nick Fury said to Elena Rogers before he went radio silent. It's been two hours since he said that, and Elena was at her destination; inside her biological father's apartment. With no Fury, nor Steve Rogers present.

Elena roamed her Father's home, noticing the World War touches here and there. There was a picture of her mother in there as well, Howard too. One more of what she presumed to be the Howling Commandos. She ran a finger over the picture of James 'Bucky' Barnes, her honourary godfather.

Her mother's brother had died before she joined the war, and Daniel didn't have any, so Peggy named Bucky as her godfather, even if he was dead, to pay tribute to the mutual friend both she and Steve had.

But, there was some part of Elena who yearned to be close to a parent once again. It's been a long time since Daniel died, her mother barely remembered her as it is, and she never had a close bond with her half siblings. She wanted to have that familial bond with Steve.

She was still in her thoughts when she heard a loud thud coming from the living room. Suddenly wide awake, Elena gripped her ICER, as she silently moved towards the hallway. Who she saw on the couch shocked her a bit.

"Nick?" She whispered as her eyes checked out her friend's injuries. His condition was bad.

Quickly recovering, she took out the medical box that she had found during her self-tour of the house, as she started tending to the major injuries, the ones making him loose the most blood.

"What happened?" She monotonously asked, still stitching up one of his cuts at his arm which was gushing out blood. If only I had Sofia here. She could tend to him much faster and efficiently. She thought about her honorary niece.

"Some mercs." He groaned, not revealing much. With one look from Elena, he sighed. " I wanted to delay project Insight."

Raising an eyebrow but reacting much, she just asked , " Why? You were the one most eager to have it installed and running as soon as possible. What happened?"

"Your father." He muttered slash groaned. And that was explanatory enough. Steve Roger's morals were one straight from the books. Ofcourse he could convince one of the most clever, cunning man Elena knew.

"Fine. But who is this new party?" She whispered back, as if knowing that they were bugged.

"No idea. Plowed through me as if I was paper. If it wasn't for Fitz's handy device I would have been dead." He muttered as he stopped Elena. She gave him a questioning glance but stopped nonetheless. That was when she heard the silent steps of someone coming in.

Quickly she was on her feet, the scraps of cotton discarded on her floor, as she took out her real gun. But who came out from the hallway shocked her even more than Fury. It was Steve Rogers.

Ofcourse it was him! We are crashing at his place you crackhead! She thought, yet her face was blank as she drank in his shocked face on seeing Elena.

Steve Rogers couldn't believe who was in front of him, with a gun pointed straight at his face. It was his supposedly dead daughter; the one for whom he grieved even though he knew nothing about her. It was the pain of losing a child, but he didn't know about that as he had never experienced it. But she was alive, alive and still pointing the gun at him.

That was when he saw Fury.

"I don't remember giving you a key." He said, standing at the entrance, half covering his frame with the wall; a quick escape if needed.

Fury groaned as he sat up, Elena didn't look back at him though. Her gun was still pointed towards her father. "You really think I'd need one?" He shot back.

"My wife kicked me out." He continued.

"I didn't know you were married." Steve shot back.

" Alot of things you don't know about me." Fury calmly said, as he motioned for Elena to back down. Finally she did, although she was still alert. Her danger magnet was going off like hell.

That's when Steve too came out from his half-hiding, as he switched on the light." I know Nick. That's the problem."

But he gave a look of surprise as he saw the extent of Fury's injuries, as Fury mentioned him to be quiet, as Elena quickly turned off the light again.

Fury typed something on his phone before showing it to Steve.

EARS EVERYWHERE.

Elena looked at him in slight shock. Why and how did they have that conversation before then?

A

s soon as Steve saw the message he understood. The war-driven man was suddenly alert, looking every which way the room could have been bugged.

"I'm sorry to have to do this. But i had no place else to crash." Fury said, as he gauged Steve's alert attitude. His words made Elena's eyebrow scrunch
a bit, wondering what he was implying with his words. But she left it be for now, as she saw Fury type in another message.

SHIELD COMPROMISED.

This made Elena give out a small gasp in surprise. SHIELD couldn't be compromised, right? The one infallible organisation, the one which her mother had a pivotal role in creation, couldn't be corrupted?

It seems that it is.

"Who else knows about your wife?" Steve asked, refering to his message.

YOU TWO AND ME.

"Just, my friends."

"Is that what we are?" Steve cautiously asked, as he gauged in the pain wracked on Fury's face as he stood up, Elena standing just beside him.

"That's up to you."

That's when bullets rang up the apartment, three hitting Fury, eliciting a shout of pain as he went down, and two hitting Elena ,one in the thigh and one at her upper back, making her go down in pain as well.

Through hazy eyes, Elena could see her father look out the window as he grabbed Elena and Fury's hand and started dragging them out of the room.

Last thing she saw was Fury handing something to Steve saying, "Don't trust anyone" before she passed out as well, ignoring the shout from her father begging her to stay awake.