VIII

Elena woke up slowly. First her eyes fluttered open, as movement jump started in her limbs. With a gasp, she shot up. But this time, no sirens were there to wake her up. Only a passive faced Natasha Romanoff , standing on the edge of her bed.

Noticing her face, Elena raised an eyebrow, "What? It's just a flesh wound Nat. " She said as she got out of her bed, removing the IV haphazardly. She shook her head a bit, trying to dispel the haze in her head that always seemed to appear when she uses her superhuman abilities for tissue reperation. Her tissues have a  very fast repairing ability, leaving that haze behind as a sort of reminder that she almost died again. Atleast that's what Fitzsimmons told her.

"Fury's dead." Natasha said, making Elena still for a moment.

She didn't turn around to face her, but she heard her very clearly. "What?" She said, her voice not wavering, just as how she was taught, but inside she was breaking a bit.

Fury couldn't be gone. I just saw him earlier!

"Time of death. 1:03 am. You just missed it." Natasha said back, as if witnessing Fury's death was an honor that Elena didn't get to see.

Elena was still, eyes shut as she prayed for it to be a joke. Fury was one of her oldest friends. Sure, he was a big arse many times, but he was a damn good leader and director.

"How?"

"The shooter who shot you . A trainer assassin. Knew where to hit you to make you fall instantly. Had a metal arm." She mused, as Elena finally turned around to see her friend.

Even if Natasha tried to hide her emotions, she couldn't do it for long in front of Elena. How she didn't see it before would remain a mystery to her, as right now Natasha's eyes were rimmed red from crying.

"Ballistics." She questioned again, moving her thigh a bit to get the feeling back, wincing when a slight pain shot up in her.

"Three slugs. No rifling, completely untraceable."

Metal arm.

"Let me guess. Soviet made?" Elena said, arms crossing across her chest. Natasha nodded solemnly.

"Why was Fury in Steve's apartment?" She asked.

"I don't know." Elena lied effortlessly, although she knew if Natasha asked Steve then her cover would be blown.

None of them said anything for a minute.

"Where is he?" Elena said, as the pain in her thigh and back disappeared. Super-healing did have it's nicer points.

"Room 616. I'm going to him right now." She said back as she turned around, walking outwards. Elena didn't follow, figuring Natasha needed the solitude when she confronted Fury. So she quickly put on her clothes, gave Natasha a five minute headstart and then went on.

She was just in time to see Rumlow ask for her Father.

"Cap. They want you back at SHIELD." He said to Steve. That's when he noticed Elena. "You too Agent Lena."

That's when Steve saw Elena as well. "Yeah. Give me a second." He said back, his eyes still trained on his daughter.

"They want you now." Rumlow said, and something about his expression unnerved Elena a bit. It seemed as if it did the same for Steve as well, as he looked at Rumlow for a moment, "Okay." He conceded.

Natasha looked at the father-daughter duo." Elena might be a good liar, but if you don't become one as well Steve. Then there's no point of lying." She said as she walked off, leaving Steve and Elena alone in the hallway.