Playful Banter

STELLA'S POV
I can't help the blush that erupts on my cheeks at Axel's display of affection.
What has gotten into him?

Greg stares at us and I suddenly feel embarrassed at the PDA.
I pull away from Axel slightly and put a bit of distance between us.

Greg is one of my oldest friends. We're not extremely close but I'm always happy to see him.
He's always known me to be very innocent and well kind of a prude, so seeing me interact with Axel in this way must come as a shock.

It took me ages to become comfortable enough with Greg to hug him or show any platonic affection.
But with Axel, everything feels so natural.
He has a way of calming me and making me feel safe.
I feel free of judgment and worry when I'm around him.

Axel looks down at me in confusion as I pull away from him. To soften the blow, I curl my pinky finger around his.

However, Axel pulls his pinkie finger away from mine.
The flash of rejection is instant and my lips pull down into a frown.

Fine, I'll hold my own damn pinkie.

I'm about to clasp my hands together when I feel his hand grab mine and intertwine our fingers. He rubs his thumb over my hand soothingly as though he sensed what I was feeling.

Okay, you can hold my hand. I forgive you.

"So Stella, is this your boyfriend?" Greg asks with a confused glance at our hands.

"Oh no no, he isn't," I mumble with a blush.

"Not yet, " Axel interjects quickly, " I'm working on it."

He squeezes my hand at the end of his sentence, as though reinforcing his statement. My blush deepens and I look down at my shoes to hide my face.

Oh, this boy.

Greg watches our interaction closely and a small frown comes to his face. An awkward silence settles between us and I immediately begin looking for an escape. These situations make me so uncomfortable.

As a mutual friend in this situation, I feel responsible for making conversation. And I SUCK at making conversation!

I being to formulate a plan of escape. I'll excuse myself and make my way to the bathroom. However, since the school washrooms are absolutely disgusting, I'll to stand in front of the mirror and wait five minutes before exiting. You know, to make it believable.

Just as I'm about to implement my brilliant plan, the bell rings.

Thank God!

Wait! I can't sound too happy to leave. Cue terrible acting:

I slump my shoulders and throw my head back, letting out a dramatic groan. I then let out a loud sigh and say in the whiniest voice I can muster," Oh man, that bell is such a fun-killer!"

I notice Axel stifling a laugh in the corner of my eye but refuse to break character.

"Well, I really hate to leave you guys because I'm having SO much fun. Like SO MUCH! But I don't want to be late for class. Bye!"I say and then before they can even blink, I turn around and speed-walk down the hallway.

Well, that went well.

Just as I think I'm in the clear, I sense someone walking next to me, matching my pace. I turn my head and look up to see none other, than Axel Mcknight.

"Oh, hi!"

He smirks down at me before taking my wrist and pulling us both to a stop.

"You're a terrible actress, you know that?"