chapter five

Richie POV

Well, here I am. In my good old apartment,
and it looks like a fucking dump.
Just like it did when I left.

The walls are partly decorated with famous Hollywood comedy movie posters and partly with comedy awards. Not Oscar-like, that would be too good to be true. No, the awards are rather lokal pity awards you get because you were part of a show in your little town nobody has ever heard of. I don't know why they give them to you.
I guess to make you feel better about yourself?

It doesn't matter anyways, I don't really think I'll ever be able to go back to my old life. I mean, stand-up comedy?
My jokes are shit anyways. But in the end I don't really have any other options. Still, it's kind of weird to go back to my old life with all the memories, some amazing, some absolutely horrifying, and just pretend all this shit didn't happen.

Ahh jeez all of this is so fucked. I have a shit life and after a phone call with an old friend I found out that I used to have a shit life as well when I was a kid. I met my old friends who all seem to have a decent, happy, married life (well almost all of them).
Stanley committed fucking suicide and Eddie almost died because of that fucking clown.
Since we killed Pennywise and saw eachother again everybody seems to be even happier than before. I mean just look at Bev and Ben, I swear to god they will probably married in less than a month.
Then there's me, my life sucks just as much as before. The difference is, that now I am aware that all of my friends did something with their life. The difference is that I now know that my favorite person on this planet is married.

Nevermind. I'll just go to sleep, there's nothing left for me to do today anyways. I take off my glasses and my pants. I'm so exhausted, I've been awaiting my bed all day.
I lay down, close my eyes, hoping for this day to finally end.
Right before I fall asleep, I hear a buzzing sound on the table next to me.
Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me.
Half asleep, I take the buzzing object and answer the phone. I don't have my glasses on, so I can't see who it is.

Richie: Hello, Richie Tozier speaking.
?: Richie, dude how ya doin?
Richie: Wait, Eddie? What the fuck why are you calling me at like two in the morning?

If it were anybody else, I'd probably just tell them to go fuck themselves and call me to a reasonable time, but considering this is Eddie, something must've happened.

Eddie: Yeah, um, about that. There kinda was some drama at home and I need a place to crash for the night. And I remembered you talking about living near New York City which is good because I'm in New York right now so yeah I wanted to ask if I could spend the night or so?
Richie: Um, I mean sure, yeah, you can stay if you don't mind the noises your mom and I will be making.
Eddie: Richie that's disgusting.
Richie: Your moms socks are disgusting, I mean have you ever smelled those things? Yeesh.
Eddie: Shut the fuck up and tell me your address asshole.
Richie: Okay, okay, jeez. It's 36 Wyckoff Ave in Ramsey.
Eddie: Thanks dipshit, see ya later.
Richie: Don't take too long because I'm fucking exhausted.
Eddie: Believe me, I am too.

And with that, the call ends.
Okay, well that happened. But honestly, I'm not that pissed. I'm really just happy to finally have some kind of company.
Wait.
Shit.
My apartment is an absolute dump. Eddie can't see it like this. I get up rapidly and start scanning this dump I'm living in. Empty beer cans, dirty clothing, paper plates and countless other shit is scattred across the floor. I take the trash and put it all in one bag, I can worry about seperation later. I put all the dirty clothes into a laundry basket and I throw the clean ones into my closet. I can worry about that later as well. Any other stuff I just toss under my bed, hoping it doesn't end up forgotten. Everything is somewhat cleaned up, but it still smells like shit. So I take a random spray bottle from the bathroom that supposedly smells good, and I walk around my apartment spraying it all over the place to cover the smell of dirty dishes, mold and garbage.
I hope everything looks reasonable, I really don't want Eddie to see what I'm dealing with emotionally referring to my housing situation. What I have been dealing with, well, since I'm capable of thinking basically.
He doesn't have to know.

I walk to the bathroom to check what I look like right now, though I don't have a great feeling about it.
I look in the mirror and just as I expected, I look like I ate spaghetti backwards, meaning I look like I would get denied in a job interview before I even started talking.
I can't fix that though, considering it's caused by my current non existing energy level.

The doorbell rings. I splash water in my face and head to the door. Just before I open it, I look down and notice I still don't have any pants on.
Shit.
I run to my bedroom and put on a pair of sweatpants while the doorbell rings yet a second time.
I rush over to the door and open it.

There he is, standing in front of me, his eyes only half open. I don't even think about my next move, it just happens.
I pull Eddie into a tight hug, because he really looks like he needs one. While hugging, I whisper „Look, whatever happened? Just tell me tomorrow, because I feel like neither of us want to stay up much longer." into his ear.
I can feel him nod against my chest. After a few moments of hugging, I pull away and see that he's holding a big suitcase in his left hand. I automatically take it from him. He follows me and I point out the location of my bedroom.
„Here, in there, you can sleep on the bed."
I'm exhausted, but Eddie's well being is more important to me than mine. I'm fine sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor.
I put the suitcase in the corner of my room and get the sleeping bag out of my closet.
He gets something out of his suitcase.
„Where is the bathroom?" he asks me. He is definetely half asleep.
„Down the hall second door to the right."
He just nods and leaves the bedroom.

In the meantime I try to find some kind of matress to sleep on. I end up just using my couch cushions and spread them on the floor next to my bed. Without waiting for Eddie to come back, I lay down and get into my sleeping bag. Immediately, I fall asleep thinking about how surreal all of this seems.
Eddie Kaspbrak is sleeping in Richie Tozier's bed after showing up at his doorstep at 3AM.
How lucky can a man get?

Eddie POV

I stand in the bathroom looking at myself in the mirror. God, I look absolutely horrible. My looks describe the way I feel right now perfectly. I mean, this whole situation is completely fucked.
How the fuck did this day end up in a divorce?
Although, on the other hand we had it coming. It was only a matter of time.

I finish my cleaning up and head back to Richie's bedroom. Before I can say anything, I see him sleeping peacefully on the floor.
I feel like right now you could drench him in ice cold water and he wouldn't wake up.
I don't blame him though, it's not like past week has been easy for either of us.
I crawl into his bed, taking in the familiar smell of coconut and lemon, the smell I have grown to love so much.
I face his direction, looking at his peaceful expression while sleeping.
He really is beautiful.

Maybe the next days will be more tolerable than the ones before. Maybe I won't feel like shit all the time with my best friend around.
Maybe, just maybe,
everything is going to be okay.

(a/n) ik richie actually lives in california but i had to move him near NYC bc of the story lmao :3