chapter six

Richie  POV

What is that smell?
I open my eyes, grab my glasses and take a look at my alarm clock: 10:08 AM. I turn around and notice Eddie isn't in bed, now realizing what I'm smelling.
It's a mix out of coffee, bacon and something else that seems to be pancakes. I get up, stretch and walk into the kitchen. Eddie is standing there flipping pancakes while humming a familiar sounding song, though I can't quite make out which one.

I stand there for a second, watching his movements and the concentration settling on his face. It would feel wrong to disturb him, considering he looks somewhat relaxed. So I just stand there for about five minutes until he turns around and jumps because of my sudden presence.

''Jesus fuck man you scared the shit out of me!'' He smiles. ''How long have you been standing there anyways?''
I can hardly tell him I've been staring at him for the past five minutes. ''Just got in, whatcha makin mate?''

''Oh this? Pancakes with bacon, I remember you loving these. But then again, who doesn't?'' He chuckles. I don't exactly remember having all the ingredients to make this. ''When did you get all of this?''

''Well you still had a few things a few things. I did have to buy bacon and eggs though.'' Surprised I say ''Wow, you really didn't have to do that. I mean when did you get up and why-'' He interrupts's me.
''Richie it's fine. Cooking helps me relax my nerves anyways.''

Right, I completely forgot the scenario. Eddie showed up on my doorstep at 3AM after a phone call an hour earlier.
''Hey Eddie?''
''What's up?'' he asks, oblivious to my upcoming question.
''What happened?'' He stopps his movements for a second, then sighs.
''Yeah, right, I should probably explain why I showed up on your doorstep at 3AM.'' He pauses, then chuckles.

''Ah man it's kinda fucked you know? So basically when I came home yesterday around 1AM, I was greeted by a very, very upset Myra, my wife. Well not any-, ah I'll get to that part in a second.
Anyways she's yelling at me all worried like 'How dare you stay away for a week without contacting me, blah blah blah' you know? After her little speech, she tells me I have two days to get the hell outta that house. She also tells me she wants to stay seperated for a few weeks. And then, here comes the interesting part, then I tell her I want a divorce. Because, you know in that moment I realized, and you can joke about if you want because it really is rediculous, that I basically married a younger version of my mother.
And when it hit me who I married, I had to get out and and just leave. I started packing up my things, which didn't take too long because I don't really have a crap ton of belongings. When I had everything I went straight to my car and left. After about 15 minutes of driving, well, anywhere, I called you. Because one, I needed a place to sleep and two, I had to see somebody who really understands me.
You were the first person I thought of.
And there you have it, the infamous tale of Eddie becoming homeless.''

Oh my god. Eddie is standing there, catching his breath because he didn't stop talking even once. But he's divorcing his wife? Seriously? ''Okay, wow that's a lot to take in all at once, but um, are you okay?'' He sighs.
''Well considering everything I've just told you, how okay can I be?''
True. I wonder when he said 'crash for the night', he thought about he probably has to stay for more than just a night.

''Anyways I told Myra I'd find a lawyer today, divorce and shit you know? After breakfast I'll go figure shit out, including where the fuck I'm going to live from now on. It can't be too far away away from New York though, considering my work is there.''

''I mean until you figure shit out and find a place to stay, you can stay at my place you know? I don't mind, it gets lonely sometimes anyways.'' I haven't even given it a single thought, but seeing my best friend in this state I have no other choice than to help him.

Eddie stops his movements and looks at me with those big adorable puppy dog eyes I have grown to love.
''Really?'' He sounds confused, happy, but ina way also relieved.
''Nah, actually I think your mom would be much more pleasant company!'' I crack a smile. He runs up to me and pulls me into a tight hug. ''You're disgusting'' he nuzzles into my chest.

I feel as if we were kids again. The losers parting ways after hanging out and me convincing Eds to stay with me just a bit longer. Having him around makes me feel nostalgic, filling me up with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

We stand there for about five minutes, just hugging eachother in comfortable silence until I start to smell something burnt. I look up and notice smoke over the bacon pan.
''Dude, Eddie the bacon is literally burning to death right now how could you!'' I laugh and watch while he tries to save whatever still is edible. While he does so, the word 'Shit' more than once.

He starts putting everything on to seperate plates and brings them into the living room. ''Damn Rich, sorry for killing most of the bacon!''He gives me a quick apologetic look ''It's fine,you were able to save some anyways. Thanks again, you really didn't have to do any of this!'' I don't really get a response, only a faint smile finding it's way on to his angelic face.

Eddie POV

The majority of the time during breakfast is spent with silent eating. There are just so many thoughts going through my head.
I feel the pain of knowing I have to deal with my divorce and living situation. I've never gone through a divorce before, but I can imagine it won't be a very pleasant process.
But I also feel the gratitude. I am so unbelievably grateful that Richie doesn't mind me staying. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him.
My thought process is interrupted when Richie gets up to put his dishes away.

''Hey Eds?'' I look over to Richie, whose back is facing my direction while he's doing the dishes. Oh man, I haven't heard that nickname in years. I completely forgot about it until now. I always told him that I absolutely hated that nickname.
That was only partly the truth.
If anybody else were to call me 'Eds', I would probably get mad.
But Richie saying it is different. He was the first to ever call me 'Eds'. I guess it's just kind of his thing.
I can't help but smile while thinking about it.

Still smiling I answer "Yes?"
He looks at me. ''What happens after?''
Right, of course I had this question coming.

'Well, first of all I'm going find a lawyer and get the whole thing settled. I need to get that off my chest otherwise I won't be able to think straight. Then I need to figure out where I'm going to live, which could get difficult in New York. So yeah, until that's settled, I'll probably be an unbearable fuck the whole time, so don't take it personally.''

He looks at me and shakes his head.
''That's not what I meant.'' He pauses for a second, then continues.
''What happens after. After you've divorced. After you've moved back to New York, what happens then?''

I look at him, unsure what to answer.
''I guess I go back to my job and you go back to yours.'' He doesn't seem to pleased with my answer. He walks over to me and stops right in front of me, looking into my eyes.
''It's just that I-'' He cuts himself off, eventhough he looks like he has so many different things to say but for some reason just can't.
''Ah nevermind.'' He walks over to his window, watching the few birds carelessly flapping their wings in the sky. If Stan were here, he would probably tell us every single thing he knows about those birds.
Unfortunately, he isn't.

''Do you think we'll ever be able to go back to our old lives?'' He turns around and looks at me.

I stay silent at first, having to think about it myself for a second. After a minute or so I answer.
"I don't know."

(A/n) HELLO EVERYBODY

Here it is, I finally made it. I FINALLY UPDATED. I'm so happy that I can at last give you this chapter. I honestly hate myself for not updating in multipe weeks, so updating is definetely a big relief for me. Also I'm shook that over 2000 ppl read this story. I know it's nothing compared to other stories, but it's a lot for me. So thank you so so much for everybody reading, voting and commenting on this story, it truly means a lot. Anyways I hope ya'll enjoy this chapter eventhough it's not the best.