Three

"You wanted to see me?" Julian's friendly voice interrupts my cluttered mess of paint splatters and fabric clippings. Sighing with relief, I push away the opened folder and rest back in my chair. "That type of day?" 

I laugh slightly. "That type of week." he strains his neck to look down at the new Boston hotel's layout. "I have this covered. I actually wanted to see you because I was hoping you could accompany me on my trip to London next week?"

"Lover boy can't go?" 

I jut my tongue out at his nickname for Jason. "I am capable of doing business on my own, thank you. I just thought that you would like to join me, but if you would prefer not too, I'm sure I could take-" 

"Who said anything about not going?" He cheesily grins. "Truthfully though, why isn't Jason going?" 

I suppress the need to roll my eyes as I click the pen shut. "He's seeking a new premises for the restaurant, and I've actually managed to convince them both that I am capable of sorting a few loose strings while they tie things up here. I would just prefer the company."

"Oh I see," he kisses through his teeth jokingly. "Using and abusing me because you've now become a work widow."

"I am not a work widow!" I laugh, throwing a crumple posted note at him. 

"See!" He shrieks, dodging the flimsy piece of paper. "Using me for company, abusing me with stationary! Surely there is some type of compensation for employee abuse."

The ache in my stomach turned into a pain from laughter as I chuck an eraser at him, clipping his shoulder.

Jullian was the only male on my team, and the most qualified out of the three. His quirkiness and colour coordination tipped him to the top of my list, not to mention his incredible eye for upstyling used furniture. 

"Personally, I can't wait for them to open up restaurants." He compliments. "Especially with Yates and Co. I've been to dinner at their restaurant downtown and it was incredible, the steak was so succulent I'm almost sure I'm made some obscene noises that were way too inappropriate for public ears."

While Julian and I connected in a deep and meaningful friendship, my terrified teenage self wouldn't allow me to open up about my past with Matthew. 

I snort at the thought. "Is that the same noises that you make every time you see my boyfriend?" 

Jullian was gay. He and his partner Adam had the old fashioned, teenage love story. Bad boy falling in love with the geeky nerd, but due to such stigma around sexualities, they kept everything secret for almost two years. While Adam's family, a very strict and very religious group, disapproved of their sons romance that sadly lead to them disowning their own blood, Jason's accepting family took them both under their wing.

He rolls his eyes and dramatically fawns a hand, acting like he was tossing his hair. 

"Can you blame me? Mr sex on legs comes in here all glorious in those tight fitted trousers and-" 

"Julian!" I squeak with laughter. "I'll tell Adam." 

He kisses his teeth again. "Be my guest, he thinks the same."

Luckily our friendship had became a running commentary of crude jokes - mostly at Jason's expense - and resulted in both of us taking nothing to heart. 

"So you'll come with me then?" I ask him. He sighs dramatically, rolling his eyes in a joking manner and agrees. "Thank you. We leave Wednesday, it'll only be a two day trip so you can let Adam know I'm not kidnapping you."

"I'm sure he'll be fine. I mean, I might come home to a credit card bill maxed out on takeouts, but as long as my apartment still stands and he hasn't burnt anything, I don't really care."