Twenty Four

Jason’s point of view.

She was motionless. My little bundle of firecracking energy with wide eyes and an even wider smile, lay like stone on the hospital bed. With three stitches and a dark forming bruise above her eyebrow, she still looked beautiful. She wasn’t comatosed, just heavily sedated with painkillers to reduce the pain in her stomach and ache in her head. I had enough now - she needed to wake up.

This was my fault. My secrecy caused her to drink a bottle of alcohol and to lock herself in the bathroom. If I told her about Natasha’s help, she would’ve understood - Frankie always understood.

I flinch at the knock on the door and I clear my throat, croakily calling for the person to come in. The doctor that hovered over her unconscious body when we arrived, appeared with the same sympathetic smile on his face. He poked her with needles, knitted her with stitches and supplied her with painkillers.

“Hello.” He greets, his voice thick and foreign. “I have test results.”

His english wasn’t the strongest, and the hum in between broken words proved that he struggled to ask the questions he needed. I sit up straight as he glances down at the folder between his hands.

“Some blood tests are low.” He explains carefully. “She has health issues?”

“None that I know of.”

His eyebrows were knitted. “This stomach pain. Unexpected or all the time?”

“Most times. That I know of anyway. She tends to hide it from me unless it catches her off guard and she tries to play it off like she’s fine but I know she’s in pain.” I tell him. “Could there be something seriously wrong?”

He raises his shoulders and gives a strange pull at his lips. “I’m hoping no. I think, uh, gastroenteritis but I make note for your doctor at home to scan her tummy. To be safe.” He scribbles something onto the paper. “I'm happy for her to leave, but will come back and check when she wakes."

“Thank you.” He gives a tight smile and I breathe in relief as he leaves.

Although Frankie was the one with the split head, I suffered a painful ache too. The stresses of the last few hours finally took me between it’s horrid grasp and shook me. I rub my hands across my face and lean forward onto her bed, taking her hand into mine.

“Come on, Frank.” I murmur lightly, keeping my lips pressed against her knuckles. “Wake up now, please. Wake up and we can go home.”

It was almost an hour later when I heard the shuffle of the stiff sheets. I spring from the seat with her hand in mine, watching as she stirs awake with slow movements and creased brows. She hisses between her teeth.

"Careful babe." I tell her. Her eyes flutter upwards, even with the four hours of sedation, she still held dark rings. I reach for her cheek, my heart pulling as she leans into my palm. "God you scared me."

"Sorry."

I shake my head. "I'm the one who needs to apologise. I should've told you what was going on. I wasn't even purposely hiding it, it was simply never brought up."

"Jason."

"But God, Frank, why haven't you been telling me about these pains worsening?" I sigh, pulling back the pieces of dry and matted hair.

Her eyes divert to avoid my question so I lean forward to kiss her forehead in reassurance. I couldn't understand it. Maybe I had missed her telling me? Maybe she had mentioned it and I overlooked it? Maybe I should have paid more attention.