Chapter 2

"No...you didn't."

"Yes I did, I told you I would."

"Ruee, they're just a bunch of killer assassins. They do nothing but kill."

"That's not what they did for me."

"The guy had a bag of jewels on him, that's the only reason they saved you. They're nothing more than thieves, rogues, and murderers. If you so much as get acquainted with them, you might get arrested by the knights."

Ruee huffed out of her nose, frustrated, she thought telling her friend would make him jovial. But all she got was criticism, and for what? She could handle herself, better than him anyway.

"Can you relax Arte? I told you, even they didn't know I was there. If they couldn't spy me, how could some measly knight get their hands on me? Besides, they kill the bad guys, they make the guard's jobs easier." The black scaled Kobold in front of her finished tying a large black bag and threw it to her; giving her a small expression of disbelief. Ruee caught the bag, it clanked with heavy metal as she took it and set it down right next to a back door. The floorboards creaked with every step she took, small breezes of chill wind blew through the walls, and frustrated yelling could be heard in the room nearby. Ruee leaned beside the wooden walls and rolled her dirty and bruised hands down her face.

"Kade and Irrak are arguing again..." She sighed before Arte tossed her another black bag, heavy with the hard scraps of metal that laid within.

Arte dusted off some rusted anvils before looking to her and latching a small knife to his side. Acting as if it was a greatsword rather than a scrawny rusted knife that Irrak supposed he could have.

"Well." He chuckled. "I have to head to the academy in a few minutes." He looked to her with worried eyes. "Please tell me you're really not going to go meet some...beings in a shady alley..."

Ruee crossed her arms and looked to him, an expression that said, 'Oh I definitely am.'

Arte knew that expression very well, and knew how hard it was to break her out of a decision, something he had no intention of doing. He still respected her, and enough to be confident that she wouldn't turn around and stab a random person in the back just to snatch their coin pouch. In fact, he looked down to his and looked back at her.

He gave her a goofy grin, "Do I need to be worried?"

To his avail, she laughed and threw a hand to the door. "Just get out of here, the Knight's will make you eat your own tail if you're late."

Arte snickered and placed a small wooden shield upon his back, and made his way out the door. A small plate of tin armor laid on his chest, while a dark blue cape waved behind him; he never took off that cape. "I'll see you at the hut?"

Ruee nodded, "I'll see you then." She smiled at him as he made his way out. Though he backed up after a sudden yell rang through the wooden shack, and an array of explosive light flashed.

"If you desire to do such a thing, I'll put a stop to it!" A voice blared as another burst of light flashed. Arte made a worried glance to Ruee before whistling through his lips and sneaking through the window. He waved to her, and she waved back, before looking back to the commotion and looked down the small hallway to the front of the wooden shack.

"I desire what I please! A conqueror will not be held in a feeble armory!" The crack of bone sounded, and Ruee clenched her teeth, it sounded like it hurt. The commotion continued, and she looked out the window towards the sky. She shrugged, there was no harm in arriving a little early.

"Irrak, I finished my work, I'm heading out, see you tomorrow!" She called toward the front. A grunt answered her, and Ruee took it. She quickly went toward the window and jumped out, landing on the stone streets. A small drop of water hit her forehead, the small drip sliding down her mud-brown skin as she pulled her hood over her large black curls.

"Just my luck..." She muttered as she walked down the streets toward the address that she had memorized by heart. The clouds rolled across the nicely lit skies, becoming gloomy in under a minute. It seemed everything was against her intentions, though she just whistled a fine-tune to herself and walked on. Nothing was going to stop her.