angels in the sky

Their backs are to the cold brick wall of the convenience store, clouds of vapor and cigarette smoke floating around them like angels. dressed in thicker clothes, although Sehyoon still only wears his thin hoodie he doesn't shiver or flinch.

the blonde muses at that, how the older seems so invincible, nothing can touch him and his wall. he's strong in a way that Byeongkwan envied.

while Sehyoon had Byeongkwan help him dye his hair green in the same EZ Mart bathroom, the younger thought of how much he wished he could do something crazy and spontaneous.

the now green haired boy wasn't afraid of consequences, he just did. he liked the adrenaline rush.

Sehyoon sighs from beside him, hair falling in his face as he pushes himself away from the wall, and turns to the younger with the smallest of hinted smiles.

"Let's go get my car, I wanna show you something..."

Byeongkwan follows without question, because Sehyoon leads him to freedom.

Sehyoons car is old and crappy, it makes a clanking noise when it starts up and there's a bag of week old McDonald's in the back seat. but the heat works and it smells like the others cologne.

Byeongkwan doesn't mind it as much as he probably should, it's an extension of Sehyoon, and Sehyoon is strong.

He doesn't ask where they're going, because he trusts Sehyoon. Instead he watches as the dark trees and houses pass by, the heat and soft radio music lulling him to sleep.

Sehyoon hums along the song playing, tapping the steering wheel to the beat and occasionally hitting the brakes when he subconsciously speeds up to the music.

they end up parking on a hill that overlooks the town, in all of it's dark empty glory.

it's quiet for a few minutes, only the engines rumbling and faint song playing, until Sehyoon shuts the car off, plunging them into the night time silence.

Byeongkwan watches as the older get out of his car, shutting the door with a creak and sitting down on the hood of his car. Of course he follows after like a puppy.

the stars are bright, no clouds or smog to block the distant lights, crickets chirp happily and the occasional gust of chilled wind blows against them.

"when I was a kid..." Sehyoons voices is soft, whispered and sad "...my mom used to tell me that the stars were angels looking down on us..."

Byeongkwan turns his gaze from the stars and looks at Sehyoon. It's too dark to properly see him, so only the outline of his features are visible, but he looks so young and sad.

the orders head is tilted up, gazing at the angels in the sky with a lovesick look.

Byeongkwan turns away, eyes focusing back onto the sky, as his friend continues.

"I always wanted to go up there and meet them, to thank them for over watching us and helping..." his voice cracks "it's childish I know...but I still like imagining that it's true..."

Even though it's dark, Byeongkwan shakes his head rather violently.
"It's not childish... sometimes... sometimes we need to dream up fantasy ideas to cope...I like your wish..."

he doesn't flinch when another hand grabs his own or when he notices Sehyoon staring at him out of his peripheral, instead his heart skips for some reason.