Chapter 21: The Iron Fist

As kids, we usually are afraid of the dark, or the belief that there's a monster under the bed, waiting to get us. As an adult, I'm not ashamed to say that I have those same fears of what us 5 year olds usually have. 

The monster waiting under my bed was Colin, who was going to get me with his harsh beatings or cruel manipulation. I never felt comfortable sleeping at night, knowing the man that took so many things away from me was lying inches away, idly sleeping as if the world was fairies and rainbows. 

In his mind, yes, the world was fairies and rainbows. He had a wife who did everything he pleased (at the cost of her dignity), a nice house, with lots of money. His world was radically different from the world I was living in. 

Inside, the lack of my supportive family created a void that no amount of money or glory could fill. The void was surrounded by the demons of Colin's harsh words that were said to me throughout my marriage. 

Even though the void of family has been filled, the demons surrounding it will always haunt me, whether I like it or not. And it's my job to try to fend them off for as long as I can.

"OH, GOSH, THAT IS SO COLD!" I screech, as my head jerks up from the couch. 

Elena's hand examines my neck a little more deeply, and then raises an eyebrow at me. "Well, what did you expect? This isn't a hot rock massage," Elena shoots, as she dabs a cold paper towel on a bruise. 

"I know that! But why is it so cold? Did you dip it into dry ice or something?" I ask, as she pushes my hair to the back to keep it from getting wet. 

"I used refrigerated water so that the effect is a little bit better. We always have to have some water like that at all times, Phoenix," she says, and she moves the towel to another spot on my neck. 

I sigh. "Fine, okay, that's fair. But why does it feel like you dipped the towel into Antarctica and put it on my neck?" I ask, as she scoffs. 

"Sarcastic much," she tells me, as she continues to soothe my healing bruises. 

"What's this about a cold paper or something?" Dom asks as he walks into the room. He's wearing an old T-shirt, with noticeable stains on them, with faded shorts to cap off the, "I just don't care," look. 

"Oh, I'm just healing her bruises with a cold paper towel," Elena says, as she starts to soothe my ribs. 

Dom shrugs. "Hey, that cold paper towel is still warmer than your heart, Elena," Dom shoots, as he goes into the kitchen. 

Elena rolls her eyes, and she just ignores him. "You are so annoying sometimes, Dom," she calls, and I turn around for her to soothe my back. Soon after starting to soothe my back, the lock on the front door clicks. 

My head jumps up out of surprise, but Elena pushes it back down. "Relax. Nobody is robbing us, and it's most certainly not your husband," she assures, as she dabs the towel on my back. I flop back on the couch, and I watch the front door swing open. 

"I'm home!" the familiar voice of Lara calls out. I can hear her shoes tread all the way into the living room. 

"Lara! Welcome back, babe!" Dom greets. I hear him walk over to give her a kiss on the cheek. I lift my head again, and Lara looks amazing. Her skin is glowing, making her look young and fresh, and her hair is down and in waves. 

A smile is painted across her face. "Hey, Lara-bear!" I call, and Lara's head turns to face me. 

"OH MY GOSH, NICOLE! NO WAY!" she squeals, and she runs over to where I'm laying on the couch. She kneels down and engulfs me in a huge hug. I wrap my arms around her, while still face flat on the couch, which makes the hug a lot more awkward than either of us intended it to be. But, we both don't care.