Chapter 33: New Opportunities

"Oh my goodness, I'm freaking out. Oh goodness, what am I going to wear? How am I going to act? Gosh. I'm going insane." I pace around my bedroom, with thoughts racing through my head like little cars. I'm looking through my closet, trying to find what I can wear on my first day, and the choices inside really aren't helping much. 

I go through the closet, and look through to see what I can wear. I see blouses, tops, pants, skirts, dresses, but nothing seems to go through my mind as good enough. I have the option to wear bright, happy clothes or dark, somewhat classy clothes, and yet I can't narrow it down. It feels like a hundred river streams coming down from mountains and merging into one, refusing to filter out. 

I want nothing more than to just go back to bed and let myself relax until I've come to a choice. Lara comes running into my room, with a hairbrush in hand, and says, "Woah, calm down, tiger. Don't worry, anything is going to look good on you. Here, let me help you." Lara goes through my closet, and my eye finally catches a maroon blouse. 

I take my hand and take it out of my closet, and Lara gets out a pair of black dress pants. "These would go amazing together. Pair it with some heels, maybe, and you've got a winner, girl," she tells me, and I reply with a smile. 

"Thanks, Lara. Sorry, I shouldn't have overreacted about this." 

She shakes her head, and says, "Nah, it's cool. Dom had a somewhat similar dilemma on his first day at work. You got this, don't worry." She walks out of the room, and I close the door. I hold the top in my hands, and process everything that's happening. 

I'm starting my first job, with my brother and former brother in law by my side. I'm back home with my family, and I've got my former brother in law pursuing me. I feel like someone should pinch me in this moment. I don't believe anything that's happening, and yet, here I am. In a world that seems far too much like a fantasy. I can't wait for the new opportunities that come to me, and I can't wait to handle them like a boss. 

As I'm thinking about all of this, I hear a light knock at my door. "Nicole, are you ready? I'm leaving in 20 minutes, and I'm your ride," Dominic reminds, to which I say, "I'm coming. Give me 10 minutes." 

Without another moment's of hesitation, I take off my nightgown, slip on the top and pants, and go over to the mirror to complete the rest of my look. I take my hairbrush and run it through my blonde locks, and then use my fingers to clean it up a little bit so that it looks just like how I want it to. 

I look at myself with a somewhat confident look, and say, "Well, here we go." I turn on my heel swiftly, and go out of my room. I go over to where Dom is sitting and enjoying breakfast with his cup of coffee. He looks up at me, and then he smiles. 

"You look great Nicole. And don't be nervous. I've droned about you so much that everyone's excited to be working with you. Trust me, you'll get along great with everyone." 

I smile, and then Lara says, "Especially with Ash, considering he's in love with you." At that moment, Dom stops chewing his breakfast, and then looks up at me. 

I look at Lara, and then the look of realization basically says, "Dear gosh, I screwed up, huh?" I gulp a little bit, and look back at Dom, who still looks like Pennywise walked through the front door with a knife in one hand. 

"Ash loves you?" 

I gulp a little bit, and say, "Uh, yeah, he told me a few days ago. Please don't stab him with a twig. I beg you." 

Dominic rolls his eyes a little bit, and then chuckles a little bit. "Come on, do you really think I'm mad? Why would I be mad? It's Ash, for crap's sake! He's awesome! If it was someone else whom I didn't trust, I'd probably stab them. But Ash is someone I can definitely trust to take care of you. So, you don't worry about me. If you want to date him, do it. It's really up to you at this point."