Chapter 29: Works of Art

(Two weeks later)

"I don't know what to feel, Dr. Musin. I've never been so scared to do something in my life. I know my brother and sister said to take it slow, but I don't know how slow is slow. What do I do?" I ask, as I relax in the chair. 

Dr. Musin just looks at me with a very involved look. "Nicole, what do you feel is holding you back from dating Asher?" she asks. 

I shrug, as I stare at the ceiling. "I'm just scared. When I was married to his brother, he did nothing but abuse me. He had no respect for me, and he just refused to believe that I was human. I don't want the same thing to happen with Ash," I say, and Dr. Musin nods. 

She takes some notes on her little clipboard, then adjusts her glasses to get a better view of me. "I understand your apprehensions, Nicole. I really do. I'm going to agree with the advice that your siblings are giving you. Take it one step at a time. Nobody is pressuring you to fall in love with him instantly. It's going to take time for your heart and your self esteem to heal. I'm sure Asher will absolutely understand that you're trying to heal first before you make any sort of advances. Take that time to heal, evaluate yourself, and the choices you want to make. Okay?" she asks. 

I take a deep breath, and I nod. "That sounds good," I say, and with that, Dr. Musin's wrist watch goes off. 

"That's the end of our appointment," Dr. Musin says, as I get up. I hold out my hand, which she takes and shakes. 

"Thank you, Dr. Musin, for your advice," I say, and she smiles. 

"Of course. Call me if you need anything else," she says, and with a smile flashed towards her, I exit her office. I walk out of the office, nervously shifting my eyes towards everyone that's walking down the aisle. Some people just look at their phones, while others flash a small smile towards me. 

When I get out of the office, Elena's sitting in the waiting room, reading a magazine like a parent waiting for name to be called in so that they can just get the cleaning over with. Elena looks up from the magazine, and she slams it shut. "Are you ready?" she asks, and I reply with a nod. 

She gets up, takes her purse, and puts the magazine back on the shelf. "Come on. Let's go," she says, and she holds open the door for me. I walk outside, and she follows behind me. "Say, Elena, what do you think I should wear for my job interview tomorrow?" I ask, as we walk to the car. 

She shrugs. "I don't think you have anything business attire, but I do have some clothes that just don't fit me anymore. I think you'd look good in those. Plus, I'm planning on taking you out for shopping tomorrow so that we can get you an updated wardrobe," she tells me, as we get in the car. My eyes widen in surprise and shock. That's going to be so expensive, and considering how tight money was growing up, that doesn't sound like the best idea.

"Elena, I don't think-" I start, but she cuts me off. She drives onto the street, and starts to go to the next location she has planned. She turns the steering wheel a little bit, changes lanes, and then stops behind a car. 

"I know what you're going to say, Nicole. 'It's too expensive, and I don't want you spending that kind of money on me.' I don't care about the money, Nicole. I already have so much money in my bank account, partially thanks to Roy and I's amazing jobs. We even set aside a little fun just in case of a rainy day or in case we want to splurge a little bit. And it's going great! But anyways, money isn't the case. I don't mind splurging on you, because you're worth every penny," she says, and with that, I smile. 

I can't believe Elena's generosity at this point. I almost want to hug her as hard as I can, but I don't want to get into an accident. "Wow. Thank you, Elena," I say, and she scoffs.