Chapter 31: One More Supporter

If you don't count the lack of sleep from the nagging fear that Colin is still out there to get me, the thought of spending some time with Ash won't leave my mind. Something about his house is just so inviting and comforting that I find it impossible to dislike it in any shape or form. 

And spending time with his sisters is also an added bonus, since they're both so awesome. But, getting to have fun before I go to work is also an added bonus. Because hanging out with your friends is always something that's needed to keep your sanity in check. It also distracts me from a few things, one way or another.

"Wow, you love their house, don't you?" Dom tells me, as I close the laptop. I look at him, with a raised eyebrow, because his sarcasm isn't something that I'm used to unless it's directed towards Elena.

 "What? It's the second time I'm going. Chill. I'm not going to enter a portal that will transport me to Norway," I tell him, which leads to a chuckle. "I do want to go though. Dad said that it's beautiful." 

Dom gives me a slight smile, and says, "Hey, have you gotten your annulment done yet?" I scrunch up a little bit tighter in a ball because it's one of the most random questions that Dom could ask me at this moment. 

I pull my coat tighter over my body and say, "I went with Elena to the courthouse a few days ago. A divorce is going to be too messy, and plus an annulment is more appropriate because of the lack of consent. Why do you ask?" 

Dom gives me a solemn look. "Because the thought of you married to that piece of crap makes me nauseous. Thinking about everything you went through breaks my heart, Nicole, and I'm sorry that I couldn't get you out of it." 

Sadness starts to stab at my heart like someone is throwing darts at it. I get up in an attempt to prepare myself for Dom to start an emotional tirade. I shake my head and say, "Dom, there was nothing you could've done. She would've killed you if I said no. You're my brother. I don't care if I die in the process of protecting you. I would've taken Colin killing me over the witch torturing you guys." 

Dom lets out a huge sigh, and I can see the pain reflecting in his gentle eyes. Without another thought of hesitation, I take a few steps closer to him and wrap my arms around him in the warmest of hugs in a while. 

"I'm one lucky girl for being your sister, huh?" I ask him, and he chuckles. 

"I'm luckier," he says. 

I chuckle a little bit more, as Roy says, "Awwww." We let go of each other, and we see Roy with his hand over his heart. Admiration is glistening in his eyes, as he sees us embracing each other. 

"You two are so cute together. The only time my brothers would hug me would be when they tried to search my pockets for something," he says. The facial expression that's plastered on his face is straighter than a ruler. 

My eyebrow raises at his memory. "That's alarming. How did your parents react?" I ask. 

He just smiles, with a little bit of nostalgia dripping from it. "Oh, my mom chewed my brothers out in Persian and then chased them around the house with a slipper in hand. My dad then chewed them out another time, but this time in a weird mixture of Hindi and Kashmiri. Ah, good memories," he says and we all burst in a fit of giggles. 

"I like your parents though. They're pretty awesome," I say. He smiles. "Thanks, Nicole. They're chill, and they LOVE to remind me of the fact that I said I wouldn't be living the Indian and Iranian engineer doctor/lawyer/engineer stereotype, and here we are! Ah, their favorite inside joke," he says, and I shake my head and roll my eyes. 

I then glance at the time on the clock, and it reads "4:50." My head whips to face Dom, and I say, "Wanna leave? I should be there in ten minutes."