Part 1

Authors note: yeah, so I should probably say that this won't exactly follow Gotham to a tee, but hey, I'm doing my best. And I'm going back and forth between this story and the one with Jerome. In case you're wondering why, I have DID (Disassociative identity disorder, basically multiple personality disorder) and yes I've been officially diagnosed back two professionals. Two different personalities are obsessed with Gotham, but argue about who's better, Jerome, or Edward. So I'm gonna be updating both stories based on which personality is out at the time.

Three months. Three long, hard months you had been looking for a job in Gotham. Not many places are looking for someone who's good with forensics. So you took up a job in a mortuary for three months while looking for something better.

Your phone rang.

"L/N speaking how may I help you?" You answered. The voice on the phone was deep.

"Yes hello y/n, this is detective Jim Gordon, the Commissioner asked me to give you a call."

"Of course. What can I help you with?" You spoke with as much confidence as you could. But you still had a slight shake in your voice.

"Well I've looked into your application to be an apprentice forensic scientist and the commissioner would like to meet with you to discuss possibilities."

"O-of course. What time works best to come by for a meeting?" Your voice was shaking with nervousness.

"How does tomorrow at four sound?" Jim had a slight chuckle in his voice.

"That sounds perfect. Thank you detective." You heard him hang up. Flipping your phone shit you giggled with excitement.

'Okay y/n.' You thought to yourself. 'This is amazing. You get off work at Gotham Funeral Services at two. That gives you plenty of time to come home get cleaned up and get over to the station.' You couldn't help but stand up and do a lap around your small apartment. Running helped you get your emotions out. Sitting on your sofa you thought of what you should wear. You settled on a professional looking dress and black flats.

You looked at the small electric clock on your TV stand. "Shit. I need to go to bed." The time was 11:00 pm. And you had work at the funeral home at 5:00 am.

Time skip to the next morning

You woke up at four am. Got dressed for work and went about your day like normal.

Once you got home you took a quick shower, did your hair and changed into a professional dress that stopped right at your knees, it was a deep shade of green. And you slipped on black flats.

You stepped outside your apartment and waited at the buss stop. You made it to the GCPD at 3:50 and looked around. Spotting Jim Gordon at his desk talking with his partner Detective Harvey, and a tall handsome with neat short black hair and glasses.

"What can be stolen, mistaken, or altered, yet never leaves you your entire life?" The tall man asked Gordon.

"Ed we really don't have time for this." Harvey said with an annoyed tone.

"Your identity." You spoke up walking up to the men.

The tall man pointed at you. "Exactly. And the body doesn't have one."

Gordon pinched the bridge of his nose. "That's all we needed to know Ed, thank you."

Ed looked like he wanted to say something but looking up at you his cheeks turned a bit pink and he hurried off.

"Ah, y/n, I didn't realize it was you." Jim said standing up to shake your hand. "Please excuse Ed, he's a little odd."

"Harvey." Harvey held out his hand, and you gave him a firm shake as well.

"Let's go talk to the commissioner Shall we?" Jim said leading you up a small flight of stairs to a rather large office.

Time skip

"I got the job mom!" You were standing in the middle of your small living room on the phone. "I'm going to be assisting their current forensic pathologist Mr. Nygma."

"Honey, I know this is what you went to school for, but shouldn't a young lady like you be settling  down? Men don't like women who work with dead bodies on a regular basis."

"Daily basis." You corrected her. "And it's mainly paperwork anyway."

"And who's this Mr. Nygma? Have you even met him? He works with corpses y/n, he could be a creep."

"No, I haven't met Mr. Nygma yet, but he works for the GCPD, they wouldn't let some creep work for them, I'm sure he's fine."

"I just don't think this is right. Maybe you should move home. Live with me again. We just had a new neighbor move in next door with a son around your age. You might like him."

You sighed. "Mom, what does he even do for a living?"

"He works at the local movie store. He's a charmer too."

"Not to disappoint you mom, but I'm not skipping out on this amazing opportunity, to move across the country to live with my mother again. Let alone for some random weirdo neighbor boy who works at a damn movie store!" You snapped your phone shut. Rage had engulfed you.

All you wanted to do was make her proud, since your dad died she turned her interest to getting you a husband so you could settle down and give her grandkids.

9:00 pm, you read the clock. "Last time I have to get up at four." You smiled to yourself. "At least my job at the GCPD starts at eight."

Sorry about the weird and slow start I promise it'll get better!