Part 13

After a while of convincing, you finally agreed to go on a short walk with Ed.

Since you got back this "other person" inside you had tried to come out on several occasions, like if you spent too much time in the main lobby close to the exit, or stared at too many pictures of the crime scene rather than the body.

She was strange, and often talked to you, she was confident, and stronger than you. She was the one who killed that man in the ally. However you didn't exactly want to kill people, but it's Gotham, and people do worse things everyday.

"L/n, you alright?" Fox had come back in the room. His dark skin reflecting the soft lights of the lab.

"I'm doing just fine Foxy, me and Eddie are gonna go for a walk around the block." You gave him a small smile as you grabbed your coat you hadn't used in months off the coat rack.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? You haven't been outside in a while, maybe I should come with the two of you, make sure Nygma doesn't up the anxiety factor." Ed shot him a dirty look.

"I'll be completely fine Foxy, if I need anything I'll give Jim a call." You held up your phone for him to see before slipping it in your jacket pocket.

You walked through the lobby with Ed at your side, some cops were giving him dirty looks, while others gave you strange ones.

"Y/n what the Hell?" Harvey had stopped in front of you. "Where the Hell are you going with Nygma?" He shot Ed a dirty look before turning back to you with concern.

"I'm fine Harvey, just a walk around the block. I'll holler if anything happenes." You put a hand on his shoulder as you started walking again. "I can handle it Harvey." He nodded reluctantly and you turned back towards the small staircase leading down to the basement, letting out a loud whistle.

Both birds instantly came flying through each landing in their designated shoulder, Ed just looked in aw.

The handles to the main exit were cold, but when you pushed open the door the air outside was slightly warmer. And you internally thanked Ed for picking a rare sunny day to stop by.

You took a step out the door and collapsed, your two birds flying off to let other wild birds know who you were.

Ed was at your side in an instant trying to help you sit up, he was talking but the loud ringing in your ears kept you from hearing him.

She was coming out to play.

After a few seconds of ringing you felt yourself slip away. 'I do hope you remember our little deal.' She whispered in your ear. 'You leave your precious little place of work, and I get to play. Just think of all the fun things I could do.' 

'Please, just don't hurt Eddie.' You thought back towards the voice you had little interaction with.

'Oh please, I'm an extension of you, why on earth would I hurt the guy you and I like so damn much?'

"FUCK!" You screamed gripping your hair, every time she tried coming out unexpectedly, you always got a pounding headache, but this time it was so much worse.

And then it was gone, the pain, the ringing, everything, you watched yourself move your head, but it wasn't you.

Malic's POV

God, finally out of the pit of memories y/n calls a brain.

I looked up to see Ed, he was more handsome than the memories y/n replayed in her head constantly.

I slowly got up off the ground with his help. Once fully stable I could see the confusion and concern swimming in his eyes.

So I extended my hand out for him. "Malic. Nice to finally meet ya." I gave him a wide and bright smile.

He returned the smile with a hint of mischief, and shook my hand.

"Well then Malic, tell me about yourself." He started walking.

"Well I'm a Sagittarius, I talk to birds, I know absolutely nothing about anything besides my work, and you, and y/n of course. I haven't been outside y/n's head since Strange dropped her off in an ally, I killed a guy, and I'm a rather fast reader." We turned the corner.

"You killed someone?" He stopped, but I didn't look back, I just kept walking.

By the time he caught up he had quiet the smile on his face. "You know your feathers change to a deep purple when y/n isn't out?"

"Well that certainly is interesting." I tried to keep my smile hidden but he definitely saw it.

"Can I introduce you to someone?" It was my turn to stop.

"Introduce me to who?"  My voice was stern.

"Well I'm sure you know I'm basically the right hand man to the new mayor." He sounded cocky.

I returned his cockiness with a devilish smirk. "As a matter of fact I didn't know that. I don't even know who the 'new mayor' is to be perfectly honest." I brushed past him.

"Well why don't I introduce you two?" He caught up and was next to me again.

Pepper and Angel landed on my shoulders again and a murder of crows sat in the darkened Ally me and Edward had stopped next to. They all sat silently.

I turned to Ed. "Give me a moment." He nodded with confusion as I walked into the ally towards the crows.

Angel began to speak softly into my ear. "They want to help."

Then Pepper spoke, her voice sweet as always. "We told them about You and y/n, they're here to be of service."

"Wonderful." I spoke back to the two on my shoulders with a simple innocent smile speed across my lips.

Nealing down in front of the murder one from the center of the group strutted forward stopping in front of me. "We'll give the information Pepper and Angel gave us to any other birds in the city. You're the first person we've all trusted. I'm sure you could be a good friend to all of us."

"And I will be." I spoke softly allowing myself to sit cris cross on the cold pavement. "Do you have a name?" I cocked my head to the side.

"No, no I don't." The crow spoke not letting anyone but myself and the other birds hear.

Several pigeons flew down landing around my sitting form. "We'll help in anyway we can as well Malic." They spoke in unison, which peaked my curiosity.

"Thank you." I nodded to all of them, it seemed, at least to me, that the pigeons were all one. Strange really, that the crows were individuals, and the pigeons were connected.

A few different blue birds and Robbins also landed around me, filling the ally and windowsills surrounding it with various birds of different colors and sizes.

"Can you all promise me one thing?" I asked my head down, the feathers slowly returning to their old color blending into my hair.

Your POV

"Protect Pepper and Angel if they're not with me."

Various voices filled the air that only I could hear. "Of course y/n!" It seems like Pepper and Angel told them about the switch that happens.

I stood brushing the dirt off my knees confident that I could trust the birds, maybe they were the only ones I could trust.

It was strange that Malic let me back out. Maybe it was something to do with Ed'a proposal to go meet the mayor, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

The birds all flew away in a massive cloud of feathers and song.

Eventually I was alone in the ally, back towards Ed, left with only two birds, one perched on either shoulder. And all of a sudden any anxiety i once felt for being outside melted away. No matter where i went in this city, i wouldn't be alone.