Part 5

Almost a year had past since getting your job at the GCPD. You and Ed worked together every case that came your way.

You came to realize that you had feelings for Ed. You knew it wouldn't go anywhere, he had eyes for Kristan. But you didn't really care. You still got to work with him everyday, so it didn't really matter.

A few months ago you had finally saved up enough money for a decent car. You were excited about the fact that you didn't need to take the buss everywhere, but a little sad now that Ed didn't need to give you a ride to and from work anymore.

The holiday season was right around the corner. Just like your job at the funeral home, the GCPD got a bit busier with Christmas coming up.

Pulling into your parking spot you noticed a familiar face walking up to the building.

"Kristan!" You called out a smile on your face. The two of you had become close friends since you started your new job. Even if you were a tad bit jealous of her.

"Oh." She turned around her gaze meeting your own. "Good morning y/n." She gave you a big smile as you ran to catch up with her. "How's the paperwork on the double homicide that happened last night coming along?"

"What double homicide?" Your smile disappeared. This only meant you had to do all the work today.

"Oh, around three yesterday two kids were found dead in a alleyway. I thought maybe Harvey would have gotten you and Ed to look at the bodies already."

"First I'm hearing of it." You opened the door for her.

"Hey l/n!" Jim yelled. "I've got something for you." He yelled across the room.

"I'll see you later Kristan." She nodded and went to her office.

"What is it detective?" You got to his desk there was a large box covered by a black sheet sitting on his desk.

"Someone left this here for you sometime last night. It doesn't say who it's from."

He handed you a note. It read 'y/n, I heard you have a fascination with birds. So I thought I'd get you a little gift as a thank you for being such a good friend. However, you never told me where you lived so I guess your place of work will have to do.'

Jim gestured towards the large box covered with the sheet. "The note was on top of this."

As you pulled the sheet off you saw a beautiful sun conure. "Oh my God." You had no other words. You'd had your cockatiel since you were a teenager, your father gave it to you as a birthday present. "Do you have any idea who left it here?" You looked up at Jim.

"No one saw them. It was just on my desk when I showed up." He gave you a strange look. "Why would somebody give you a bird? It's not exactly a normal pet to give someone."

"O-oh. I umm." You stood up, brushing the dirt from the floor off your knees. "I grew up with birds. My dad bred cockatiels. I always wanted a sun conure though, but I never told anyone that. Is there anyway to look at the security footage to see who left it?" You have Jim a hopeful look.

He smiled at you. Jim saw you as a sort of daughter, and he would much rather get information about a case from you rather than Ed. "I'll see what I can do. But can you take it back to your apartment real quick? A police station isn't exactly the kind of place you want a noisy parrot."

"What about Ed? I heared there was a double homicide last night. Shouldn't I get to work?"

"I'm sure you'll have time. I'll let Ed know you're running a bit late." You nodded and carried the cage out to your car.

Opening the door to your apartment you heared your cockatiel Pepper tweet loudly.

"Someone got you a friend Pepper." Caring the cage into the living room you placed in on the opposite wall as the other cage. "I'll need to get ya a bigger cage soon." You looked at the sun conure. "But in the mean time, I need to go back to work.

Sorry it's a bit short but you need to foreshadow somehow right?