12; protect and kill

Not talking to Thomas Shelby was boring, but everyone seemed to find it necessary. 

Even his closest brothers were so mad at him they didn't speak to him, even Sullivan didn't. 

That day, Sullivan was exiting her bedroom and running down the stairs when she caught Thomas Shelby sat at her couch. She gasped with surprise, making him snap his head to her and stand up. 

"What are you doing here, Thomas?" she sighed as she went into the kitchen, reaching for a piece of bread to eat. "Fuck's sake, how did you even came in?" 

"I needed to talk to you," he answered. "And you didn't lock your door yesterday, I guess." She sighed and leaned against the kitchen counter, chewing on her bread silently before she spoke again. 

"All right, so you're here for what?" 

"I know you don't believe me, but I didn't snitch on Freddie," he stated. 

"So who did this? Alright, let's investigate then," she proposed. "Who knew despite family, and the Lee boys, because it can't be them since they're fucking family now." 

"I," he began, chewing on his bottom lip nervously. "I told Grace." The blonde scoffed as she rolled her eyes. 

"Of course," she replied. "Barmaids are good listeners, you know? But beside listening, they remember, especially when it comes about someone they're trying to flirt with." Tommy rolled his eyes and opened his mouth to respond, but she cut him off with a raised hand.

"Don't answer at this," she ordered. "Look, darling, you told her and she snitched on him, that's my opinion. But, don't think you're innocent in this, because you opened your fucking mouth. Now you'll have to take him out of jail." 

"That's the thing, I can't," he said as she crossed her arms. "It's not in my hands to help him." 

"At least we can try," she responded with a sigh. "You didn't see Ada like I've seen her that evening, Thomas, it's still breaking my heart." The man nodded. 

"I know, I'm sorry," he muttered as she sniffled, her eyes lifted to the ceiling, full of tears now. 

"We need to get him out of prison, Tom," she whispered. 

"I will, December third," and facing the girl's frown, he explained himself. "I'm taking that fucking Billy Kimber out." Sully laughed, running a hand through her blond hair. 

"Tommy, you'll never stop surprising me, but I'm glad that bitch's gonna fall," she exclaimed, lifting her arms in the air, making the man chuckle. 

"You're not at the Garrison?" he suddenly demanded as he looked down at his watch. 

"No, I took my day off," she answered. "I wanted to visit Ada, but I don't want to bother. I know how she is these times, she doesn't want to see anyone." Tommy cleared his throat, and she frowned. "And you're not working today or anything, eh?" 

"I have to," he agreed. "But it doesn't mean I want to." She smiled and patted his shoulder while passing by him. 

"Come on, big gangster, go run your city," Sully cheered by sitting at her couch, grabbing a book that rested on the little table. He snorted while stepping out the front door, but turned around before leaving. 

"We're good, right?" 

"As long as you're working on Freddie's case," she smiled, "we are."

-----

Reading had always been one of her favorite things in the world, with speaking and thinking, but Arthur breaking in her house while she was calmly looking down on Jane Austen's words clearly wasn't something she liked.