20; back to secrets

Cemeteries wasn't her thing; hospitals either. If it wasn't for Tommy Shelby she would've never stayed in there.

At first, she wasn't allowed to see him. He was seriously hurt and the doctors had taken him in intensive care. Sullivan and the rest of the Shelby family were only allowed to know once in a while if he was doing better or not. However, Polly and she ended up screaming after a nurse called Nancy, who only started to shake. And cried.

When they took Thomas back into a hospital room, Sully almost hit the doctor for staying with him. Polly negotiated for her, though the Shelby were feared enough to have whatever they wanted. Sullivan was just on edge. Instead of apologizing to Nancy, she thanked Polly and told the other Shelbys she would update his condition as soon as he would wake up or something. Anything.

She stayed on a chair beside his bed, unwilling to ask for a bed, her hand holding one of his. Her eyes stayed open for a whole day, watching him breathing, worrying each time he seemed to struggle to. When he finally opened his eyes, she was staring into space, eyes focused on something in the white wall in front of her. It was a gentle squeeze on her hand which brought her back to reality. A reality where her man had now his eyes open, watching her carefully.

"Oh, my God!" she screamed, bringing his injured knuckled to her lips. "You're finally back with us," she commented, admiring his features.

"You're here," he whispered, his deep voice weakened by the lack of speaking.

The blonde giggled, shaking her head fondly. "Of course I am," she replied, "where else would I be?" She laughed again, inhaling deeply.

"They didn't hurt you?" he asked, though he remembered one of the man hitting her right in front of him.

"Are you nuts or something?" she exclaimed, running her hand through her hair. "Just a few slaps, whilst they almost killed you!"

"I thought you'll go with them," he spoke, frowning though it hurt his face.

Sullivan pursed her lips, trying to think about something to say. "As if," she only replied, rolling her eyes. "Are you seriously thinking you would get rid of me that easy?"

Tommy looked away from her, trying to hold the smile that was blossoming on his face, hurting a little as he focused on it. He looked around him, his eyes catching the night outside. "How long?" he asked, assuming she would understand what he was meaning, and as always, she did.

"Twenty four hours, dear," she answered, fiddling her fingers on her lap.

"Fuck," he cursed, looking back at her.

The blonde shrugged, pursing her plump lips. "This ain't so bad," she stated, earning herself a glare. "Don't look at me like that! Doctors said you could stay unconscious for days, maybe weeks. But," she continued, ignoring his try to speak, "you missed so many things in twenty-four hours."

Deciding to keep their serious conversation for later, he quirked the corner of his mouth upwards, trying not to focus on the slight pain it caused, his eyes scanning her features. He brushed his thumb on her face, thanking every god or whatever that she hadn't been taken away from him. "What?" he demanded, still caressing her soft skin gently, avoiding the large bruise her right cheeks was wearing.

"I," she began before she looked behind her. Feeling her cheeks heating up, she brought the chair she was sitting on closer to Tommy, so she wouldn't have to speak too loud. "I screamed at that nurse, Nancy," she whispered, dimples appearing on the corners of her mouth.

"Why?" Thomas exclaimed, trying his best not to laugh with her.

"She wouldn't tell me anything about you, I was dying with Polly," she exclaimed, sliding her hand in his again. "We were all so worried, I should probably tell them you're awake now," Sullivan stated, standing up.