A long road ahead

5 year old Kimberly waits patiently in the back seat as her Dad drives her and her Mom to the mall. They arrive at the mall and walk around a bit. They pass by a toy store and Kimberly spots a toy that she likes she asks her Mom "can I get that toy Mom please" her Mom replies with a sad face "honey I'm sorry I would get it for you but we don't have a lot of money right now", Kimberly says with a disappointed face "I really liked it though", her Dad puts his arm around her and says "maybe next time sweety I promise". Shortly after they were eating at the food court, they were all sitting down eating bk from the dollar menu, Kimberly asks her parents "why couldn't I get the kids meal with the toy", her Dad answers her while salting his fries "sweety we already explained we don't have the money right now, maybe next time", Kimberly replies in disappointment "that's what you always say", her Mom tells her "things will get better I promise", Kimberly says with a low voice "you always say that too".

As they are driving home Kimberly is looking out the window seeing the beautiful Colorado mountains. Kimberly's Mom asks her Dad "so how did your job interview go today", the Dad answers "it went ok", she looks at him and says that's what you said last time", he replies enraged and frustrated "what do you want from me, I'm trying my best but I guess that's not enough", Kimberly points out "Dad your gonna run a red light", suddenly the Dad slams on the brakes but it was to late, a truck hits the side of the car at full force, the glass slashing the Dad's throat and a steel rod from the truck going through the Mom's head and Kimberly's head slamming on the window. The truck driver gets out of his truck and calls 911, "please come help there was an accident come quick". The ambulance arrives at the scene, they notice that the Mom and Dad weren't coming back from the accident but Kimberly still had a chance, the paramedic screams "come on let's get the little girl to the hospital before it's to late".

As they rush to the hospital Kimberly is unconscious having a flashback, she is running around her backyard with her Dad as her Mom watches and laughs, before they go inside they kneel down and say "Kimberly we will always love you don't ever forget that".

Kimberly wakes up in a hospital bed confused and scared, she calls out for her Mom and Dad "Mom, Dad were are you"!!! The nurse walks in the room and tries to calm down Kimberly "hey sweety I'm glad to see your awake, how are you feeling?" Kimberly replies "I'm ok, who are you? I want my Mom and Dad", the nurse answers "my name is Samantha, I'm your nurse, I know you want your Mom and Dad but I'll explain that later but for now we need to get you some food, is there anything special you want?" Kimberly replies with a smile "um I would like a kids meal from bk", Samantha smiles "ok sweety". A few minutes later Samantha gives Kimberly the kids meal she tells Kimberly "I'll be right back ok" Kimberly says "ok thank you Samantha", Samantha smiles "your very welcome Kimberly". Samantha goes to the doctor and asks him "did they find a home for her yet and what's her condition?" The doctor answers "unfortunately there are no relatives that can take her in and she's going to be ok but I'm keeping her here for a few weeks for observation". Samantha goes to check on Kimberly, she sees that Kimberly is playing with a little toy dog that came with the kids meal.

Kimberly says to Samantha "this toy reminds me of my dog Charlie, Me and my parents always play with him, were is my Mom and Dad?" Samantha takes a deep breath and says "Kimberly I don't know how to tell you this, your Mom and Dad didn't make it", Kimberly's smile disappears as she asks confused "what do you mean?" Samantha almost tears up and says "there gone sweety, I'm so sorry", Kimberly starts to tear up and asks "so that means they're not coming back?" Samantha grabs Kimberly's hand and answers "no honey I'm so sorry". Kimberly bursts in tears screaming "I want my Mom and Dad!!" She throws the toy at the floor out of frustration, Samantha tries to calm Kimberly down "Kimberly look at me, you have to breath, doctor she's having a panic attack and not breathing well" the doctor screams "get her on some oxygen now!!" Samantha gets the oxygen pump and tries to get Kimberly some air, Kimberly passes out. Samantha starts bursting in tears, she looks at the doctor and says "why does this job have to be so hard".