3. what are you gonna do about it?

Mercedes, Rachel and I were sent to Ms

Mercedes, Rachel and I were sent to Ms. Pillsbury's office to discuss our auditions with Artie, Coach Beiste and Ms. Pillsbury. "Let me get this straight. You can't make up your minds, so we have to try out again?" Mercedes asked.

"In the biz, it's called a callback." Rachel informed. "With such an iconic role as Maria, it can't appear as if they're just giving me the part."

I sighed. "As our friend, don't you think you could be just a bit more supportive?" I questioned, glaring at her.

"We'd like you both to come back on Thursday for the ultimate Maria-off." Artie announced.

"Done. I can't speak for them, but I'll be singing the timeless Maria classic I Feel Pretty." Rachel said.

"Actually, that's too easy, Rachel." Ms. Pillsbury disagreed. "We've picked a song that we think has the potential to show off all three of you and your talents, in unexpected ways."

"Out Here On My Own from the seminal behind-the-scenes musical, Fame." Artie informed before handing us each the sheet music.

I smiled. "I love it." I said excitedly.

"I know it." Rachel said as she nodded her head.

"I lived it." Mercedes stated.

...

I looked over at Mercedes and Rachel as they both received pep-talks from their boyfriends. Meanwhile, I stood alone, cracking my knuckles nervously. There was no way I could beat either of them. Suddenly, I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned around to see Quinn. I couldn't help but pull her into a hug.

Once Quinn pulled away, she spoke. "I came to wish you luck and tell you that I believe in you." My smile grew even wider. "I like Mercedes, but I really do want this for you."

"Thanks." I whispered. "But I'm not them." We both glanced over at Rachel and Mercedes.

Quinn furrowed her eyebrows and placed her hands on my shoulders. "That's a good thing because I only want you." I blushed. "Knock em' dead."

Mercedes:
Sometimes I wonder where I've been
Who I am, do I fit in
Make believin' is hard alone,
Out here on my own

Rachel:
We're always provin' who we are
Always reachin' for the risin' star

Madison:
To guide me far and shine me home
Out here on my own

Rachel:
When I'm down and feelin' blue

Mercedes:
I close my eyes, so I can be with you

Mercedes, Madison and Rachel:
Oh, baby, be strong for me
Baby, belong...

Madison:
To me

Mercedes:
Help me through
Help me need you

Rachel:
Sometimes I wonder where

Mercedes:
I've been

Madison:
Who I am, do I fit in
I may not win
But I can't be thrown

Mercedes (with Rachel):
Out here, oh
On my (own)
Out here

Madison:
On my

Mercedes:
Own

I could feel it in my gut. I knew who Maria should've gone to. Rachel and I both wore the same worried looks. Mercedes Jones was the clear choice.

...

Finn and I stood outside Ms. Pillsbury's office. We were waiting for Rachel to come out. "Why didn't I get invited?" I asked, fiddling with my fingers. "I knew I was just going to embarrass myself by going up against them."

"No, you were great." Finn said. "Keep your head up, nothing's been decided yet."

I sighed and crossed my arms. "You don't mean that. You're just saying that."

Finn shook his head. "No. You're Rachel's best friend, meaning you're forced to be my best friend too. And I don't lie to my best friends." I smiled up at him. Suddenly, we watched Mercedes storm down the hallway. Nothing good could come from this. "Look, Rachel's coming." I turned so that my back was towards Finn.

"Wh- what happened?" I asked worriedly.

"I got it. I got it, like, by default." She whispered to both of us. "They double-cast us, and then Mercedes turned it down." I felt a pit sink in my stomach.

"Th- that's great, Rachel." I said, giving her a small smile. "I'll see you guys around. I need to go develop some photos." I informed before walking away.

I entered the dark room as I tried my best to push back my tears. I turned to see Quinn entering the room through the revolving door. "I, uh, saw you run off. You okay?" Quinn asked.

"I know I'm not the best singer, but when has Mr. Shue even tried to help me improve?" I questioned. "He's always giving Rachel pointers and helping her out, and I'm sick of it." I admitted. I looked at Quinn. "I love Rachel but being her best friend is hard. It means you get shoved to the corner while she's on top."

"What are you gonna do about it?" Quinn asked.

I took a deep breath. You can't get better if you don't try to learn. And I wasn't learning much with Mr. Shue. I also knew that the only way I could grow was by separating from my best friend for a little. I had allowed her to overshadow me for too long. I knew what I had to do.

...

I walked alongside Mercedes and entered Ms. Corcoran's room. She looked up from the piano. "Ms. Corcoran, we heard you're starting a new group." I stated.

"You're gonna need some star power so... here we are." Mercedes said.

...

author's note:
i wanted to give madison the role of maria but thought it would be fun to take a different route. how are you all doing with this social distancing stuff? if any of you need to talk, i'm here. and i hope that you are all safe and healthy. it's so frustrating not being able to do anything to help. thanks for reading💕