8. carry me home

It was finally the week of sectionals

It was finally the week of sectionals. I could feel the nerves creeping up on me. It was all I could think about.

I never had to worry as much as I did now. One wrong step when performing with New Directions wasn't the end of the world. In fact, no one could tell if I messed up. But now, I was front and center. Every move and note mattered.

I looked over at the backup dancers as they practiced our routine. Mercedes came to my side. "Can you believe it?" I asked. "We're finally running the performances."

"As it should be." Mercedes responded with a grin on her face. "It's time for everyone to see that Rachel Berry isn't the only leading woman."

I nodded my head. "I love her, but I just wish some of the attention went to me sometimes."

Mercedes turned to face me. "Well, everyone will see how amazing you are at sectionals." She suddenly grabbed my hand and led me to the stage with the rest of the girls.

"Sectionals!" Sugar cheered as she hugged me tightly.

...

I found myself alone on the stage. "Oh, now go
Walk out the door
Just turn around now,
'Cause you're not welcome anymore" I sang while rehearsing the moves. But I stopped abruptly when I realized Quinn joined me on the stage. "Quinn Fabray, spying is not okay." I said playfully, putting my hands on my waist.

"I'm not spying." She said with a small smile. "I was lonely because my girlfriend didn't show up at the lunch table."

I gave her a skeptical look. "Wait, New Directions and the Troubletones can coexist at the same lunch table?" I asked jokingly.

"Yes, so let's go." Quinn held out her hand for me, but I shook my head.

"I really need to have this down." I told her. "I refuse to be the reason we lose."

Quinn shook her head. "Trust me, it won't be your fault. Plus, how will you be of any use to the team if you're not eating?" She questioned.

I sighed heavily. "Fine, you win." I grabbed her hand and we exited the auditorium.

"Oh, did I tell you Sam's back." Quinn informed.

"You mean your ex boyfriend?" I questioned.

"Oh, shut up." Quinn said before laughing.

...

As Santana finished curling the last piece of my hair, I noticed Rachel standing at the door frame. She smiled and gestured for me to go over.