5. the show must go on

I walked onto the stage and looked out at the rows of empty chairs

I walked onto the stage and looked out at the rows of empty chairs. Just once I wanted to be the girl in the spotlight, but instead I was the girl helping her best friend learn the lines to the part I wanted.

Madison:
The most beautiful sound I ever heard
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria
All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria,
Maria, Maria
Maria!
I've just met a girl named Maria,
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same to me
Maria!
I've just kissed a girl named Maria,
And suddenly I found
How wonderful a sound can be
Maria!
Say it loud and there's music playing,
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria
I'll never stop saying Maria!
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria,
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria,
Say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria, I'll never stop saying Maria
The most beautiful sound I ever heard
Maria!

I suddenly heard clapping, making me look to see were it came from. I smiled slightly when I saw Quinn standing on the side. "Still thinking about how much you wanted the role, huh?" Quinn asked, walking closer to me.

"No." I lied, shaking my head. Quinn tilted her head to the side and gave me a questionable look. "Okay, yes." I admitted. "But I promise I'm happy for you for getting to play Graziella."

Quinn stopped smiling. "If it hurts too much, I'd understand if you wouldn't want to come to opening night."

I shook my head. "No, I'm going. I wanna support you and Rachel and everyone else even if it hurts a little."

"A lot." She corrected before leaning in. My eyes began to close and my lips parted slightly. "Ladies, we need the stage." Someone said. I quickly moved away from Quinn to see Artie with Blaine and Rachel. "Clear outta here."

I didn't say anything... I couldn't. The jealously was clouding my judgement. I hurried out of the auditorium with Quinn following behind me.

"I have an idea." Quinn said as we walked down the hallway. "How about we get your mind off of all of this. Let's have a photoshoot in the courtyard."

I wasn't in the mood for photos. "The courtyard isn't pretty." I said truthfully. "It's pure concrete."

"Well, luckily, the models are pretty."

"What?" I asked in confusion, turning to face her.

"You and me." Quinn smiled at me. "It'll be great. Plus, what else can we do during our free period?" I thought for a moment before nodding my head in agreement.

...

My parents and I took our seats as we waited for the show to begin. "So you're gonna point her out to us, right, mija?" My mom asked excitedly. She was still trying to figure out who the girl I had spent so much time asking for advice was.