4. star-crossed

I entered the kitchen while my mom was cooking

I entered the kitchen while my mom was cooking. "Dinner's almost ready." My mom stated.

I rested my chin as I watched her cook. The smell of the enchiladas were making my mouth water. "So when is Rachel coming over? It feels like forever since I last saw her." I sighed, making my mother look at me worriedly. "Oh, no. Don't tell me you two are fighting."

I shook my head. "No, I just need some space." I answered. "I know I'm supposed to be happy for her, but I can't hear her talk about Maria anymore."

"Oh, so a girl has come between you?" She asked.

"What?" I asked in confusion. "Mami, no. I'm talking about West Side Story."

She nodded her head and laughed. "My bad." She turned off the stove and gave me a serious look. "So Quinn is the one we should be talking about, not Maria."

"She's just a friend." I replied. "And she's dealing with a lot, so I don't wanna add any unnecessary stress to her life." I explained.

"Did you ever think that maybe you'd be uncomplicating a few things for her if you just cleared up what you two are?" She asked. Maybe it was time to have the conversation with her.

I opened up the cabinet and pulled out three plates and handed them to my mom, so she could start serving the food. Then I set the table.

...

I watched as one of the boys pushed the foreign exchange student against a locker. "Go back to Mexico."

Once they walked away I approached him. "You okay?" I asked.

"I'm not actually from Mexico." He said. I couldn't help but notice an accent.

"Yeah, it wasn't cool that he said that. My parents have heard that one before and so have I." I informed. "So where are you actually from?"

"Ireland." He flashed me a proud smile. "I'm Rory Flanagan and you're very pretty." I bit my lip awkwardly.

"I'm Madison, and I'm flattered but not really into that." I said honestly.

"Into what?" Rory asked as he stopped leaning against the lockers.

"Boys." I replied. "But I'm more than happy to help you get around the school."

...

I fiddled with my fingers nervously as I approached Quinn in the library. It was time to lay it all out on the table like my mom had suggested. "Hi." I greeted.

"Madi, hi." She closed her notebook and smiled.

"I was, uhm, wondering if you were busy Friday night?" I asked.

Quinn leaned forward and smiled wider. "As a date?"

I was taken aback by her question. What do I say? Yes, Quinn Fabray, I like you and I wanna date you even though you need a friend more than anything right now. "I mean, I-" I took a deep breath. "Do you-" Please someone help me, I thought to myself.