Visit from the Fates

Percy POV

I stood and glared at Echidna as I held Riptide in my hand, careful to keep it ready for a strike. I watched her for any sudden moves but I could also see the chimera a couple yards to my right. There wasn't going to be any help from the campers or the hunters, all of them were either standing at the top waiting for me to die or they were watching the upcoming battle. They knew not to get involved, this one was mine.

The chimera paced behind its mother, barely restraining itself from charging. Finally Echidna smirked and the chimera came barrelling towards me like a speeding car. It's paws pounded on the floor, roars could be heard from the realm of hades and the entire time it ran I watched, waiting for the right moment. These monsters never learn to not run head first into the battle. They get all worked up and then run in head first. That's why I decided to remove the chimeras.

I watched as it came closer, holding on until it leapt at me, teeth snarling before I rolled out the way and struck up with my sword just as it landed. It's eyes bulged at the thought of being beaten and its body was reduced to nothing but golden ash as it disintegrated like all monsters do when they meet their match. I looked up from the snakes tail on the floor, a spoil of war, and glanced at the mother of monsters. Her jaw was open, her eyes wide as saucers and she seemed to be gaping like a fish.

"You, killed him? You killed my son? I'll get you for that one. YOU WILL PAY!" She screamed and before she could even begin running I had pulled out my pistol and shot her right between the eyes. Her body instantly disintegrated from the celestial bronze bullet. "Sorry Echidna, I've had enough monsters for one day." I turned and began walking back to the border of camp when suddenly I was consumed by a bright light. I instinctively closed my eyes to avoid being reduced to nothing and waited until the light had faded.

When I opened my eyes I was shocked at the sight before me. In the middle of a throne room, much like the Olympian one only much larger and made of what looked like solid shadow, stood the three fates. I fell to one knee, wondering why they would want me. "Rise demigod, for we have news that shall mark you as an equal." The one on the left said, her voice resonating all around the room. I slowly stood back up and watched as an iris message began to play all of my achievements, all of my adventures from over the years.

"From the very beginning, the primordial council has reigned supreme, with our masters being only two." The middle sister said. "Chaos and End. The siblings of creation and destruction alike. Chaos made creations so marvellous they became personified by beings of immense power. These included Chronos, primordial of time, Gaia of the earth and so on. End sought to destroy all that he could and so he made beings that would bring about death and decay. Tartarus the primordial of the pit, Anache the primordial of Destiny and our mother." As soon as she said this I was shocked.

"Yes Perseus, we are the grandchildren of destruction, he was a cruel violent ruler but he was needed for balance. Chaos was kind and caring but lacked the ability to say no. We have watched you Perseus, you have created many great chances for young heroes and mortals to start their lives, yet you have also destroyed that which needs destruction such as deities and betrayers. You have created what even the makers could not. You have created balance. In doing so you have become the only one worthy of this award." Said the sister on the right.

"You are the chosen champion of fate Perseus. The bringer of balance, saviour and destroyer, loyal lover and brutal fighter. We have decided to bless you Perseus. From this day forward, you are Fates Champion and so this means that from now on, you need not worry about what fate has in store for you. From this day forward, you Perseus Jackson, are free from the clutches of we three fates and so you have complete control of what happens to you. This life is yours Perseus, make of it what you deem fit." All three spoke at the same time here. I could not believe what I had just heard.

For my entire life I have been governed by the will of the fates, from prophecy after prophecy my every action has been dictated by what the three sisters laid out for me. Now I am told I am free? I was so wrapped up in my thoughts I did not realise that I had been flashed back to camp until I heard the sound of a thunder strike coming from the dining Pavilion. I raced over to find out what had happened and when I got there only one word could describe the scene. Carnage. Absolute devastating carnage.

Food was flying all over the place, shouts and arguments filled my ears. I slammed my foot on the ground creating a small earthquake which caused everyone to fall to the floor. "Would someone care to explain to me what happened here?" I asked in a deadly calm voice. Many people tried to hurry out of sight. Clarisse stood up and looked at me. "After you was flashed away, we came back here to ask why certain demigod scum decided to not join in the defence of camp. Their excuses did not seem fitting and so we had a slight disagreement."

I sighed in exasperation and was about to respond when I heard a shrill scream coming from near the Artemis cabin. I raced over there and what I saw made my blood physically boil. It's official.

I'm gonna kill him.