07 || S E V E N

"It's also hard to prove I'm capable when even I think it's impossible."

*

"Call failed. Retry?"

How many times had I retried? How many skip voicemail and redial had I done? I'd lost count, but I couldn't give up.

The first ten minutes of waiting in my living room, I kept calm, collected. After twenty minutes, I felt that pressure in my chest. It was uncomfortable, suffocating. Once a full half passed with no contact with my little sister, I felt as though I couldn't breathe.

Something was wrong. She wasn't safe.

"Javi. Javi!" Mary tried to stop me, but I was as hard-headed as a droid as I was in my human life; my mother had told me that. And once I had my mind set on an idea, there was no turning me back. My computers had found a possible-yet horrendous-scenario that revolved around Wendy.

"Mar, those androids out there killed a man. Do you know what that means?" I'd shut down the power supply for my charging pod and turned off all of the house appliances. I wanted the home to be as docile and absent as possible.

"It means we have to stay put," Mary said, pulling at my arm as I shut off the kitchen's lights. "We can't leave."

"Is that what they teach you in Bionics school?" I scoffed, rolled my eyes, and pulled my arm free. "I can't stay here and protect myself. I need to protect her."

Mary watched me as I hurried across the living room and shut the curtains. With a tap of my wristband against the home security panel, the house confirmed its alarm setting.

And with a sturdy, firm grip, I grabbed the front door's handle. "If you want to stay here, fine, but I can't. Unlike those bots outside, it's against my code, and I won't stay back without knowing she's okay."

Her emotions flickered. Or was it my sensors? There was a span of twenty changes in less than five seconds, and I couldn't keep up. Looking back at her, I pulled my brows together, deep in thought. And shook my head. "You're afraid," I said, glancing back at the door. "That's okay, Mar. I'd never put you in danger. But Wendy's at that school and I know droids started to malfunction there. So, just sit tight and-"

Mary rushed over to the side of the couch and clasped her bag shut with a slap of her hand. Hoisting the strap over her shoulder and across her chest, she looked at me with wide, yet determined eyes. "I'm going with you." It took three long strides for her to stand in front of me. "I know... things are different, but Wendy's my sister, too."

Instinct told me to smile. My computers instructed me to move. But memories told me to thank her.

I lifted my one hand, cupped her chin, and pulled her close so our foreheads met. I felt the breath she took. Heard the sigh. My gaze locked onto her as I nodded and brushed my thumb along her lip. "Thank you," I said.

My actions didn't startle her. She leaned against my touch. And the moment I drew back, her hand reached out for the handle. Together, we pulled open the door.

|||

The air felt thick, heavy. The sun, hidden behind a sudden row of grey clouds, no longer warmed the streets. Mary hid behind me as I stepped out onto the front lawn. She squealed when the droids turned to look at each other. Looking back at her, I shook my head, mouthing, "It's okay."

They couldn't sync with me, meaning we were safe. As long as they didn't see us.

Taking Mary's hand in mine, I pulled her across the cut grass and behind a car parked just feet from the house. We dropped against its side. Hiding.