29 || T W E N T Y - N I N E

"Life's just one long freefall."

*

Contrary to popular belief, Governments clean up... really slow. I wasn't sure how long it took for the agents assigned to the Bionics mess, but I knew I opened my eyes again months, months later. There was a man assigned to me, to watch me, as though I'd been sleeping through a re-upload. And it made sense, because... even though I was asleep, I knew. I heard. I saw.

Bionics messed up. Linking every android to a single processing system-a system they knowingly perfected, then regretted-was the worse thing they could do. And the replicas, copied and discarded, did what any pained "human" would do.

They reacted on impulse. They believed in false information. And they attacked, killed, to get what they thought they wanted.

I guess, in the end, they got their wish. They were... human.

As for me, I got mine, I guess. A martyr. A savior. It wasn't what I was looking for, but when I opened my eyes and found myself laying in my old bedroom, I knew it wasn't right. Sure, the tall agent with the movie-style Bluetooth in his ear was a dead give away. But I wasn't in a lab, I wasn't connected to computers.

In a way... I was human, too.

But in truth, I was also the only droid in existence.

Mary gave up everything to make sure I was recreated, rebooted, and it wasn't just for her. It was for Wendy, for my parents. They needed me more than she did, and I guess... I was thankful.

Because the morning I awoke to the sounds of a young girl's laughter and the news recalling events on the living room television, I knew I had just another chance. Even if it was my last. But I knew I'd make the most of it.

|||

"It's been seven months since the Bionics failure to control their defective Androids-"

"Peter!" Wendy ran into my arms as I tried to sit and watch the news at the kitchen table. My father had purchased a small TV on clearance and declared it his best spontaneous purchase.

I couldn't help but agree.

Still, with Wendy clinging to the sides of my shirt, I couldn't pay attention. I turned away from it as the reporter on the screen continued, "The Jordans are still paying for their actions. Sources say the costs are reaching billions. And of course, neither of Jordans are found for comment."

"Everything all right, Lost Girl?" I kneeled down beside my sister so we were eye level. She giggled and jumped, hands on my shoulders. "What can I help you with?" I asked.

"Um, really?" Wendy blinked.

Happy. Energetic. Secretive.

I squinted, but couldn't hide my grin. This was an everyday thing. Before school, after school, Wendy would run to me and just demand my attention. Who was I not to give it to her?

"The location of the defective, broken droids are kept tightly under wraps. Those of you who had your Android picked up for disposal are asked to call the number listed below for instructions. You will be compensated for your loss."

"What's up, kid?" I laughed, ruffling the top of Wendy's head. "Did I mess up with breakfast again?"

"Oh, no, no." Wendy scrunched her nose. "The bacon's a little burnt, but that's not your fault. It's the new body." Her finger tapped my chest repeatedly. "It isn't used to the human-life stuff, yet."