Picking Classes and Crushes

I jerked up, immediately regretting it as I felt the pain in my neck. But it didn't stop me from thinking about the most amazing dream I had. I paused in my thoughts and glanced around. I was still in the four poster bed I had fallen asleep in. I was still looking at the dormitory of the girls room. I was still at Hogwarts. Which mean I hadn't been dreaming. This wasn't a dream. But no one else was in the room. Was I in some twisted nightmare then? Alone in Hogwarts? I pulled the blankets off, wondering where everyone had gone.
Remembering I had suitcases under the bed I kneeled down and pulled one out. Popped it open and found plan simple cloths, a grey shirt, white ankle socks, and a white button up shirt. I opened the torn package I forgotten I had come up with the previous night and inside I found a pair of robes, the Gryffindor crest in the corner, a roaring lion. There was also a grey vest shirt that I assumed went over the white button up shirt. I gathered the clothes and went to the bathroom, staring at my reflection as I changed. Anything to keep these moments in my mind. Just in case I suddenly woke up.
Outside and back at my suitcase I rummaged through everything, surprised to see so many clothes I'd wear, but they weren't from my closet. At the bottom there was a note.

Always be prepared

I frowned as I searched for a signature or some identifiable mark but found nothing. I put the clothes back in the suitcase, I knew it wasn't from my mom, she'd have to know I was here, she'd have to plan all this and I knew she hadn't. Who would she even had talked to? When? I knew her and Mrs. Sawyer spoke for a few minutes last night. Was it about this? Had they spoken before and I just never noticed? I thought back to the many telephone calls between me and Melinda. Had I just imaged a few occasions where my mom took the phone after I said goodbye but before I hung up? There had to be more. No one just let their kid run off to a school in Scotland. Especially not a magical school.
I tried to shake away the confusion and questions. There was too much to wonder and I could spend all day in this room thinking about it but there were other things to do. As if I needed reminding my stomach gurgled. The last thing I ate was a small serving of popcorn at Melinda's. But until this moment food was the furtherest thing from my mind. I bent down to take out a tie but paused, remembering Fred Weasley still had it. I'd have to see if he wouldn't mind giving it back. Points were deducted for not dressing proper.
Standing up I pushed the suitcase back under the bed with my foot and slide my feet into a pair of sneakers, where they came from I wasn't sure but they fit perfectly. I'd have to thank Professor Dumbledore again. I grabbed a bag and shoved all the materials Dumbledore had given us and all the ones that seemed to magically appear overnight. Paper, quills, ink and lastly my wand. At the door I peeked out, hoping there wasn't a crowd of people craning their necks to get a good look. Thankfully, no one seemed interested in the new girl, not even downstairs in the common room where a few kids were scattered about the room. I felt my body relax, I wouldn't be able to stand it if I was greeted with a billion questions asking about where I came from and why I was late. Or whatever people asked other people who just magically showed up at their school.
"Hi there" I turned towards the voice, half expecting to see Lee Jordan, but that wasn't his voice. It was more of an Irish accent.
"Um, hi" I was face to face with a tall boy, maybe a smidge shorter than the Weasley twins but more filled out. White, grey eyes, determined expression, short brown hair but overall seemed approachable.
"And you are? Don't believe we've met" he said as he folded up a bunch of papers he was holding.
"I'm new, Tammie Allen" I said sticking out my hand.
"Nice to meet you Tammie, I'm Oliver Wood, captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team" he said proudly as I tried not to laugh. I didn't know how I didn't recognize him, maybe because he looked cuter than he was portrayed?
"Quidditch, right, I wanna get into that I think" I told him as he arched an eyebrow.
"You know how to play?" He asked.
"I've seen it being played. Kinda. And I've read about it" I told him recalling my copy of Quidditch Throughout the Ages, though to be honest I still hadn't finished it. It was probably collecting dust on my bookcase back home.
"Yeah, favorite team?"
"I don't pick favorites" I told him as he laughed.
"You haven't watched enough Quidditch then" he said as he handed me one of the folded up pieces of paper. "Second years and older" he added.
"I'm in my fourth" I told him glancing over the paper, it mentioned the upcoming game, November sixth, which also happened to be Melinda's birthday. "How's your team?" I asked as I handed him back the paper, noticing him still staring at me.
"Needs work, why, interested?" He asked as I shook my head.
"I don't even know how to fly a broom."
"I could teach you." For some reason I felt my toes curl and a wave of excitement and heat wash over me. "You said wanted to get into it" he reminded me as I half nodded.
"More watching than playing I was thinking" he laughed and stuck the papers in his bag.
"Well, you know where I am in case you change your mind Tammie" he said as I nodded and we said our goodbyes. I tried my hardest not to look back, but I couldn't help it, and when I did he happened to glance over his shoulder at me too. I gave him a short wave and hurried out of the common room, eager to not embarrass myself anymore.
"Tammie!" I nearly fell down the stairs as Lee yelled my name.
"Don't do that" I hissed at him as he came over to me.
"Sorry" he said still laughing. "Ready for your first officially day?" He asked.
"You mean ready to fail out? I don't know anything about any of this, other than what I've read or seen" I said as he stopped on a step.
"Seen?" I stuttered a few times, not sure what to tell him.
"There's been a few interpretations about this world" I decided to say.
"Ah, I see, am I fantastically brilliant in these interpretations?"
"Actually, you're only in one." He frowned for a second and then shrugged.
"Thought maybe I was the hero."
"You're my hero" I told him as he laughed and ran down a few steps making me run again to catch up with him.
"Why's that?"
"You helped me find my way, I mean, I took up your time doing whatever you were doing and you were very kind and patient with me" I told him as he looked at me, still smirking.
"If you're trying to say the twins were rude for not helping don't take it personally, they're in their own world most of the time. Doing their own thing, but they're good guys" he said as I nodded.
"I have no doubt about that, I just mean, you know, the tie thing." At first Lee looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about, but then it seemed to click as he nodded.
"Don't worry about that either" he said but didn't say anything else.
"Where are we going? Isn't the Great Hall around that way?" I asked not based on any map but the loud noises I was hearing coming from the direction.
"It is, but I'm taking you to see Professor McGonagall, she asked the Prefect to do it but I volunteered" he said as we stopped at a classroom.
"Oh" I said staring at the door.
"You're welcome" he teased as he started to walk away again.
"See, my hero" I called out as he laughed, his laughter still carrying as he disappeared around a corner. I stared at the door a second longer, not sure if I should knock or just go in. Deciding to be brave I opened the door, at first seeing no one but then noticed an older women sitting at the head desk. Her head was bent down as she looked over a book, a pen in her hand. Her hair was pulled up in a tight bun and though I couldn't fully see her face I already knew she had a strict looking expression.
"Professor?" I called out from the door.
"Miss Allen?" She asked as I nodded. She stood up and was at the door quicker than I imagined for an women of her age. She beckoned me in and closed the door behind me. "Welcome my dear. I trust you slept well?" She asked as she made her way back to her desk, me slowly walking behind so I wouldn't trip or walk on her long green robes.
"Yeah, like a baby" I said as she waved her wand, summoning a chair on the opposite side of the desk she was sitting at. I cleared my throat and sat down.
"That's good to hear. We're happy to have you. You're father was a very good student, he received high marks, especially in Transfigurations and Potions" she said as I instantly felt like a failure, those were probably going to be my worst subjects. I was terrible at measuring things and even though the idea of transfiguring an object sounded cool in theory I highly doubted I'd succeed at doing it in real life.
"Good for him, I didn't know him, he died before I was one" I said as she nodded, giving me an apologetic expression.
"I heard, I'm sorry to hear that." I nodded, appreciative of her words. "Now, I do have some questions for you. As a fourth year you have these core classes" she paused to pass me a piece of paper, listed were the names of the core classes, a short description and the books needed for each. I took my time reading over the list. This was one of things I was more excited and anxious about. Astronomy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions and Transfiguration. I felt myself smile. Magical classes. I would be taking magically classes. With a wand. "Now, along with these classes you're open to explore at least two electives. Are there any subjects you'd be interested in?" I stared blankly at her. Not because I didn't know what she was talking about, but she she said as if I were just another student. I mean, granted I was, but an actual student who knew what anything about these other classes. "Oh, right, my apologizes" she said passing me another piece of paper, listed on it were the names of elective classes along with a short description of each.
"Muggles studies" I said as I tried not to laugh at her expression.
"Is that a wise choice? I think something that would expand your knowledge would be more beneficial than something for an easy grade." My cheeks flamed, it was almost uncanny how she knew why I wanted take that class.
"Absolutely" I said as I scanned the list again. "Divination sounds fun" I said as I caught her frowning. I didn't know what she expected me to pick. "And uh, Care of Magical Creatures I guess" I said as she nodded and took the paper back, and then wrote something down in the book.
"I'll see if there's room open in Muggle Studies" she said before closing her book and handing me yet another piece of paper. "That is your schedule." I looked at it again, all the core subjects were there. Double Potion was listed first, with Slytherin. Followed by Double Transfiguration with Ravenclaw. "I'll also provide you a list with all the other extra activities and clubs here at school, has anything caught your interest?" I caught myself from saying Oliver, when in fact I meant Quidditch.
"Quidditch so far I guess. I spoke with Oliver before coming here, he's captain" I said as if she already didn't know that.
"He is, maybe you can join the team" she offered.
"Don't they already have a full team?" I asked but Professor McGonagall didn't answer.
"Look over the list, see what else jumps out at you" she said as I nodded as she pushed back her chair. I hurried and did the same, swinging my book bag over my shoulder. "Go eat" I nodded again, not sure if I wanted to be on my best behavior the first day or worried to piss off someone who could turn themself into a cat. I started for the door but Professor McGonagall spoke up.
"Find your ties Miss Allen. Preferably before Potion class" she said as I looked over my shoulder, noticing she hadn't looked up.
"Yes Professor" I said as I left the room. I closed the door and spun around, bumping into someone.
"Hey there" I felt myself brain freeze, Fred was standing in front of me.
"Oh, um, hi, just the person I wanted to see again" I said but shook my head "I mean, bump into it, not literally though, just..." I trailed off, wishing to turn my turn my brain back into working mode.
"Well here I am" he said holding his arms out as he grinned widely.
"I need a tie back, before Potions" I told him as he frowned.
"Guess you did remember what I said about seeing me tomorrow" he teased, his smile slightly falling.
"It's not that, Professor McGonagall noticed and I guess she doesn't want me to get in trouble with Professor Snape" I explained as Fred nodded.
"Yeah, no problem" he said pulling a tie out of his pocket and handing it over.
"I had three" I told him.
"And I believe your words were you needed 'a tie' back, not three" he said as held his hands behind his back.
"Oh, so you're going to hold on to the rest and hand them over as I need them?" I teased.
"Sounds only fair, don't want you losing them, you're in short supply of everything anyway, kids here can be nasty sometimes" he said as I laughed.
"Right and you're just looking out for me?"
"Mmmhmm" he said as I shook my head but still smiled.
"Shouldn't you be worried about the first Quidditch game? Oliver said the team needs work" I told him as his smile disappeared completely.
"Don't listen to him, he'd work us into the ground if we let him. Only one person on the team needs work" he said with a roll of the eyes.
"I was thinking about joining the team" I said out of nowhere, knowing good and well I was not thinking about doing that.
"Really? You played back home?"
"No" he laughed as he started to walk away. I quickly followed. "But I mean, it would be fun, the professor wants me to have some extra activities or something, I think it would be perfect."
"You don't know how to play" he said as we continued walking.
"Well then teach me." He stopped first and turned toward me.
"You'd trust me to teach you?" He asked in all seriousness.
"Yeah" I replied.
"Hi, I'm Fred Weasley" he said sticking out his hand as I laughed and swatted it away.
"I know; just because you're a goof doesn't mean you're not a good teacher" I told him as he stared at me with curiosity.
"You're a mystery Miss Allen" he said.
"Is that a yes?"
"Let me see your schedule." I handed it over as he glanced at it.
"Alright, after dinner, come find me" he said handing it back and then walking away, this time I had a feeling I didn't need to follow.
"Okay, where will you be?"
"That's the whole point of finding me Allen" he called back. I tried to hide my smile but it seemed almost impossible. Fred Weasley was going to teach me how to play Quidditch. I didn't know if it was because it was dark when I first met him or because I was overwhelmed that I wasn't paying attention or the fact that he was with his twin brother, but seeing and talking to Fred alone gave me more butterflies than arriving at Hogwarts and I found myself giddy at the thought of seeing him again.