Surprises

"Transfigurations next" Hermione told everyone as we went up the stairs as a group, others students filling the halls, on the way to their classes or wherever. I spotted a bunch of Ravenclaw kids as we got closer to the classroom but couldn't see Melinda until I stood on my toes.
"I'll be right back" I told the others as we separated.
"Hey" Melinda said cheerfully as I walked over to her and a small group standing around her. "How was your first class?" She asked kindly.
"We'll have to talk about that later" I whispered.
"That bad?"
"Not exactly." I started to say more but the doors opened, her group going in first, Melinda getting dragged along in the herd. I hung back until the others came up, walking in with them and taking a seat next to Hermione.
"Don't forget to take notes" she said as I nodded just as Professor McGonagall came out and introduced herself, though I couldn't see why, the only new additions were Melinda and myself and I didn't know how Melinda wouldn't know who she was.
"Before we continue our lesson, I wanted to inform everyone that toward the end of the school year we'll be focusing more on O.W.Ls. Who can tell me what those are?" I shot my hand up, surprised with myself as Professor McGonagall seemed to be too. "Allen?"
"Ordinary Wizarding Levels, administrated by the Wizarding Examination Authory. They're to test whether we can continue our core subjects next year; there's always a theory portion and sometimes, based on the class a practical portion." I explained as she gave a short nod.
"And the results are?" I shifted for a split second, not realizing she was going to stick with me for the entire conversation about O.W.Ls.
"T for Troll, D for Dreadful and P for Poor, which are failing marks and um, O for Oustanding, E for Exceeds Expecations and A for Acceptable, all of which are passing marks." Professor McGonagall gave a small smile and nodded again.
"Five points to Gryffindor, excellent job" she said as she turned to the board.
"Everyday I'll be writing topics and subjects I wouldn't be surprised to see on the exam as well topics for the new term. For this class there will be a practical exam, I expect everyone to keep that in mind as we work this school year." I opened my notebook and started copying notes, proud of myself for knowing something, the internet sure was helpful.
Class went by too quickly for my liking, I was very impressed with how easy the information seemed to be to retain and enjoyed the short passages we were assigned to read during class to prep for homework, which was explaining the steps in great detail about how we'd go about transforming a head hog to a pincushion. We'd be practicing our written description next class so it was recommended we write carefully and exactly.
"That was really fun" I said as I stepped out of class with Hermione, Ron and Harry, the others parting from our group to enjoy some downtime before lunch.
"Oh no, you're both not going to be into homework are you?" Ron asked with a sour expression.
"I mean, I wanna learn as much as I can, but, I don't think I'll be at the library every minute" I told him as Hermione checked her bag for a fifth time as we rounded a corner. "What are you looking for?" I asked; she shook her head, but continued rummaging through her things.
I checked my own bag, making sure I had everything I started the day with; reaching inside I felt an envelope, remembering the letter my mom had written me. "I have to do something real quick, go ahead without me" I told them as I stepped away and walked in the opposite direction, pulling out the letter and leaning against a wall. I watched a few students pass before sliding down and tearing open the envelope.

Tammie,

I want to start this letter by telling you how proud I am to call you my daughter. Your father would've been just as proud. This is such an honor and I'm so sorry I couldn't be the one to tell you the truth sooner. I've debated this secret for years, since you were born, before then even. We planned to tell you together and then we lost him and I just didn't know how to tell you. I didn't know if you'd believe me, if you'd understand, if you'd resist. And part of me didn't want to lose you. Your father went to that school and though he learned the most amazing spells he had scars. I wish I could give you more information about his childhood there, about his time at Hogwarts but he left it a mystery, even to me. Professor Dumbledore said you wanted to meet with me next weekend, of course sweet heart, I can't wait, hopefully I'll be able to find something, anything to give you a better understanding to the other half your life. I'll send money in the next letter, I just have to remember the conversions, I hope you and Melinda are being on your best behavior. Write back soon, I can't wait to hear what house you're in, your father was a Slytherin; he reckoned I would've been a Gryffindor.